Budget Sub

Doink

Howdy folks. I'm on the hunt for an "affordable" sub to compliment my Tannoy tops. Something along the lines of $400, new or used, and flat down to 30 cycles. I hear not so great things about the M Audio BX10S, and any of the other usual "brands" are either too rich for me or don't go down far enough.

So I'm starting to look at "home theater" stuff as an option.

I was just at the local audiophile shop, and they showed me the Paradigm PDR-10. It sounded good, made a respectable amount of noise at 30 Hz, and is in my price range. The only drawback is that it is only 120 watts, and the ports are on the back (?).

I've also read very good things about Velodyne. The DLS 3750 looks good on paper in my price range. I'm also looking at some of the JBL home theater stuff.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure which Tannoys you have, but for most Tannoys, it's gonna be hard to find a sub that will match up well with them cheaply unless you look used. Tannoys tend to have a wide frequency range to begin with, and finding a sub that will go real low solidly tends to require a higher end sub.

The BX10s would probably be a lousy match as those are designed more as supplimental woofers than down low subwoofers, working well with nearfield monitors that are lacking in bass on their own. Something like the Mackie 12" sub would probably be a good match for your Tannoys, but that is far above your price range unless you find a stupendous deal on one used.

I'm not all that up on specific models in the audiophile market, but as a selection strategy for use in a studio (which as slightly different requirements than use in an entertainment center) I recommend you read this article.

G.

Back