Budget Sound Proof Booths for home studio

Twinhit

You gotta speak up!
I've have suffered from hearing loss a long time - all my life. Along the way I've had the occasional experience of being placed in a sound proof booth for my hearing tests.

I was curious if such a booth would be helpful for recording vocals and instruments.

I've been imagining something that would be big enough for a piano, drums
with a smaller cubicles for upright bass / bass guitar and other standard instruments and vocals.

Example
http://www.gretchken.com/sound_booths.htm

The cheapest construction would be using woodframe, insulation, and pegboard material - not sure how soundproof that would be, but it is the first
bill of materials I could think of.

I know there are a variety of techniques and materials on the market to choose from, but I recall those booths being extremely quiet.
Also, I do recognize there can be disadvantages to a padded cell v. an a large reverberant space.

What say you? Would it be a bad idea or???

The first question you should ask is "Why do I want a soundproof booth?"

Unless there is a crazy amount of noise coming in from outside, a soundproof booth is not ever going to improve your recordings.

If you want to avoid annoying your neighbours when playing the drums late at night, then perhaps it would be useful, but again won't improve your recordings.

It might be helpful to understand exactly what soundproofing is (try searching the forum), as I suspect that you're getting this mixed up with acoustically treated. The two are vastly different.

None of them are soundproof, and the drawbacks of recording in a little box outweigh whatever benefit the reduced ambient noise would be.

Also, they are extremely expensive. I wouldn't consider these unless I was going to a condo or an apartment - and even then I don't think the NR would be sufficient to prevent the neighbors from calling the cops.

I'm a drummer, so YMMV.

Thanks,
I understand there is a difference between sound-proof and acoustic treatment.

Just thought I would ask as I am uncertain of the location I will eventually be in. A duplex on Oahu there's a road that runs by the house and I am considering the noise of big rigs and harleys. Otherwise, it will be the chickens. Keep in mind, with my hearing loss, I need all the help I can get because I may not be able to hear what the microphone can hear.

I kinda figure it's probably going to end up being a dual situation soundproof plus acoustic treatment.

I'll continue reading what others have to say. Here and elswhere.
If anyone knows a particular thread or site that's got meaty information, please share them. I'd appreciate it.

If anyone knows a particular thread or site that's got meaty information, please share them. I'd appreciate it.

Realtraps and GIK are both sellers but they have articles on their sites.

John Sayers, Studiotips and Gearslutz all have forums - some more active than others but all with good resources through the search function.

Google those and you'll find weeks worth of reading.

lou

Realtraps and GIK are both sellers but they have articles on their sites.

John Sayers, Studiotips and Gearslutz all have forums - some more active than others but all with good resources through the search function.

Google those and you'll find weeks worth of reading.

lou

Thanks Lou for the leads. :)

FWIW, I have a sound booth that I built using plans from DawBox. This does stop some sound from escaping but it certainly isn't soundproof and more importantly doesn't reduce sound db enough to even be considered if you're trying to be kind to your neighbors. However, it IS great for recording nice vocals with zero coloration. The reason you would build a booth would be to obtain a "dead" sound so that you get as pure an input as possible. For that type of application, sound booths are great.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't thank me, dude. When you see how much there is you're gonna hate me. :D

Enjoy the ride.

lou

I take it you're a deeply hated man, Lou.
Animosity against you runs deep.
Probably even considered the foul scum of the earth.
People loathe the day you were born.

Am I correct?

FWIW, I have a sound booth that I built using plans from DawBox. This does stop some sound from escaping but it certainly isn't soundproof and more importantly doesn't reduce sound db enough to even be considered if you're trying to be kind to your neighbors. However, it IS great for recording nice vocals with zero coloration. The reason you would build a booth would be to obtain a "dead" sound so that you get as pure an input as possible. For that type of application, sound booths are great.

Just my 2 cents.

That's along the lines of what I was thinkin' about, big enough for at least a sitting acoustic guitar player probably an 8x8x7 if the room allows otherwise
it will have to be a vocal booth. The room treatment products at Realtraps are tempting, too. We'll just have to see what pans out after I move there.
Thanks for the suggestion.

For now, I am going put these places in a file for future referance.

If anyone has anymore suggestions, keep em coming.

...I may not be able to hear what the microphone can hear.

You'll fit right in... :D

;)

I try to ignore my mics whenever possible. :laughings:

Kidding aside...for your hearing issue, you may want to get a nice set of closed-back headphones, that offer good isolation from outside noise...and use them when you need to check on something with a bit more detail.

You'll fit right in... :D

;)

I try to ignore my mics whenever possible. :laughings:

Kidding aside...for your hearing issue, you may want to get a nice set of closed-back headphones, that offer good isolation from outside noise...and use them when you need to check on something with a bit more detail.

Thanks for the advice. Currently I am using my Sony MDR V500 headphones.
I know there are better headphones out there but not sure what to go with as I don't know what's available and what would meet my hearing requirements. Otherwise, I've been making do with 11 year old Altec Lansing ADA-305 puter speaker sys. It's been nice, but my friend says a speaker may
have blown because he is hearing some speaker anomolies. He's got excellent hearing. I think I would like to look into either KRK on the low side or JBL studio monitors - I have yet to inquire on those subjects. These may eventually have to be modified to headphones.

It may sound silly that someone like me would want to get into a small studio operation not having a clue (well, maybe half a clue) and a bit on the need to see a shrink side........
I just hope Stevie Wonder doesn't ever ask for my services. With his eyes and my ears we'd be Pryor and Wilder.

Before I forget...
cool studio you have there. Quite well appointed.

I'm thinking you could prolly try to sing inside a gun safe, save a lot of dough. Just as safe, since there's no ventilation system on those booths. I'm amazed they're legal honestly. Guess the disclaimer gets the job done. You have to sign something that says you promise not to stay in there more than 15 minutes unless you install a vent?

I'm thinking you could prolly try to sing inside a gun safe, save a lot of dough. Just as safe, since there's no ventilation system on those booths. I'm amazed they're legal honestly. Guess the disclaimer gets the job done. You have to sign something that says you promise not to stay in there more than 15 minutes unless you install a vent?

I take it where there's a vent, there's a way for sound to enter the space/room.
If I am correct, has anyone tried a deep sea diving apparatus? just kiddin'

Back