Budget SDC for choir recording

giopad65

Hi everybody,
I am trying to figure out what kind of SDC I could buy for occasional choir recording.
I am thinking of some budget stuff, but would like the quality to be at least acceptable, with good frequency response and good reliability.
Stated that I already own a matched pair of Oktava MK012's, I'd like to get myself something different. My wish list (matched pair mikes) at the moment is
- Rode NT5
- Rode NT55
- sE Electronics SE1A
- sE Electronics SE4.
What would you suggest among these? Do you have any further hints about?
TIA. ;)

Yeah I'd stick with what you have. Maybe mod em if you want something different. I think they are pretty solid.

My first recommendation would actually have been those oktavas.
How come you want something else?

I don't want something else, I want something more. ;)
I mean, my idea is to add some SDC to my equipment, so that if I need to specifically mike some instruments that plays along with the choir, I can do that.

I've used the stereo pair of sE1A in X-Y mode for choirs quite a few times with good results. I've also been happy with the NT55/cardioid capsule though I don't have as much experience with those. I haven't tried the NT5 for choir (though it should be similar) and haven't had a chance to use the sE4 at all yet.

(And I've never even heard an Oktava so can't give any comparison there.)

I don't want something else, I want something more. ;)
I mean, my idea is to add some SDC to my equipment, so that if I need to specifically mike some instruments that plays along with the choir, I can do that.

Oh,ok.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with SDC mics but my shure sm81s never let me down on acoustic instruments.
Have to say, I have preferred the oktavas on acoustic guitar in the past though.
NT5s were ok. Never stood out to me, but maybe that's good?!

Yeah I'd stick with what you have. Maybe mod em if you want something different. I think they are pretty solid.

After your welcome feedbacks, I am thinking of getting myself a second pair of matched Oktava's. :)
Maybe the MS4 kit (with cardioid and omni capsules).

Back