Budget Interface

Gos

So,

just set up my small home studio, bought and alesis mixer as it has inputs, outputs and knobs. It sucks @$$. Operating noise when knob all the way down is ridiculous and I won't talk about the input buzz. Basically I consider this a waste of my $79. But I digress, what do you guys recommend for an interface or USB/Firewire mixer (under $200 USD).

My needs:
XLR input - 1
1/4" input - 1
1/4"outs - L/R unless by some miracle I can get XLR outs
clean in and out puts

I really don't need anything big as I won't be recording bands at home. I'll do that at my 64 input console at my church. This is just for my Axiom 49 and I to rock out and get better acquainted.

Anything above that "need" list right there is to be considered GOLDEN! Again I am on a budget so please do not recommend some astronomically expensive (above $200) product and attempt to tell me how good it is. I have spent ten + years as a live engineer and understand that sometimes you need to spend the extra money. This is not one of those times. My needs outweigh my budget and I understand.

Sincerely,

Already frustrated with Alesis :facepalm:

Where is the audio from the Alesis mixer plugged into? I have never found them to be that noisy?

There are numerous interfaces under $200 now, have a look at the Tascam ones. If you are on a real budget, there are many second hand interfaces out there.

Alan.

Hello Gos,

Maybe you want to have a look at our interfaces, a very robust interface with what you need bellow 200 will be the UR22, here is a link where you can find more information:

UR22*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

Also if you want something simpler I can recommend the CI series as well:
2 high-quality Mic/Line inputs with XLR-combo sockets and phantom power
2 balanced Line outputs with TRS, 1 Phones output
Up to 24-bit/48kHz, latency-free hardware monitoring, USB-powered

Buy now*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

Best regards,
GN

For a real economy interface that actually works, have a look at the Lexicon Alpha. I don't have one myself but have a mate in the UK who used one professionally and, when I've heard his results, have been very impressed. A lot of my friend's stuff turns up on UK TV and radio so that's a pretty good vote of confidence.

Having moved on from the Tascam US1800, I will say that I am very impressed with the D-PRE preamps in the Steinberg UR line. I use two UR824's now. I have used the Lexicon Alpha, and actually bought two of them for friends. Not really impressed with the units other than it's affordability. Though depending on what your goals are, it may just suit your needs.

Hey Guillermo, send me a UR22 so I can test it out! lol

:)

Audio into the mixer is from an SM57. The device makes noise wether anything is plugged into it or not.

Where is the audio from the Alesis mixer plugged into? I have never found them to be that noisy?

There are numerous interfaces under $200 now, have a look at the Tascam ones. If you are on a real budget, there are many second hand interfaces out there.

Alan.

I have heard nothing but good things about your products I will definitely look into it.

Hello Gos,

Maybe you want to have a look at our interfaces, a very robust interface with what you need bellow 200 will be the UR22, here is a link where you can find more information:

Also if you want something simpler I can recommend the CI series as well:
2 high-quality Mic/Line inputs with XLR-combo sockets and phantom power
2 balanced Line outputs with TRS, 1 Phones output
Up to 24-bit/48kHz, latency-free hardware monitoring, USB-powered

Best regards,
GN

I have used the lexicon and those are super budget. I like them and have used them but they break easily with frequent use and the USB port was flaky.

Having moved on from the Tascam US1800, I will say that I am very impressed with the D-PRE preamps in the Steinberg UR line. I use two UR824's now. I have used the Lexicon Alpha, and actually bought two of them for friends. Not really impressed with the units other than it's affordability. Though depending on what your goals are, it may just suit your needs.

Hey Guillermo, send me a UR22 so I can test it out! lol

:)

Audio into the mixer is from an SM57. The device makes noise wether anything is plugged into it or not.

That is either a crappy interface or you are not connecting it properly. I would guess the Alesis is the culprit. Isn't it Alesis who doesn't even provide ASIO drivers for their products?

Thank you all for your recommendations, I am now going to search the forums for reviews and then make a decision. Thank you again

Back