budget drumkit

axeman_ukl

i have a 2nd hand pearl forum kit with all original drum heads and have just started to record it audix d range on all drums and rode nt5 on the overheads
now the sound of the kit is not quiet what i am after (more 80's rock kit wanted).

how much would changing the heads alter the sound...... bear with me only just started playing drums so am complete novice to what tweeks works

and if it would give me the sound i am looking for what brand and type would you recemend ?

thanking anybody in advance for the input

You will be astounded by how much new heads will improve the sound of your drums - if you can afford to replace all resonant and batter heads, do it.

As for brands, I prefer Remo because they're easier to tune up straight out of the box, but a lot of people like Evans...

thanks

which would you recemend in the remo range and is best to replace top and bottom skins
What sizes are your drums? 14" snare, 12",13" and 16" toms, and 22" kick?

If you're really skint(like me) you could buy the millenium pack £10.90(cheapest you'll find) but they can be difficult to get a good sound out of. You could buy 2 sets and use the second set for resonants(on toms), and that'd leave you spare kick and snare batter heads, then just buy a snare reso head. I use them for kits i buy through the year, restore, and sell for xmas, and for my live kit.

On my live kit i also use the remo MF-112200(which came with a drumkit i sold. Greatly improves the sound), the Evans EQPB2, and rings(I hate using rings but the heads are pretty hard to tune, and for live the toms sound better defined).

Here's a list of drum head sets and individuals from thomann if you're willing to spend more.

Shipping is £8(€10) for anything under £160(€199). Over £160 it's free.

Last edited:
Back