Budget Card Discussion: Audiology Ex vs. Audiophile

SirRiff

Greetings,

I have always seen the audiophile spoken of very highly here, i comes from m-audio which make the Delta 1010, so there is a good company behind it. I have also heard some people speak highly of Creative stuff, like the new Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum eX, especially for the price.

Checking these two cards out, they are both around the same price Audiophile ~179$ (US) Audiology ~195, both are 24/94, Creative claims a S/N of 100db, while the audiophile is listed as Dynamic Range: D/A 104.0dB, A/D 100.4dB, both have converters on the box, both have 2 analog imputs, both do midi. Now since I am not springing for my high end setup yet, I am obviously looking for the biggest bang for the buck right now, and maybe a card that will do my midi if my future interface doesn't.

The big difference I see is that the creative stuff has soundfont support, which instantly takes care of buying a hardware snyth/module since soundfont stuff is pretty mainstream these days and at least decent sounding (although not as good as VST stuff? which i hear people use instead of soundfonts)

So its either popular because of its 1) higher quality (creative is, after all, a gaming company), 2) some feature that is not obvious, or 3) just marketing success. I am just starting to look at budget cards, and wondering which it is.

SirRiff

there is software out there that will play soundfonts and there are all kinds of softsynths and drum samplers...midi on a soundcard isn't that important these days, since we have keyboard controllers that work via usb....however, the midi on the audiophile should be adequate for driviing any softsynth..i'd have to go with the audiophile.

I have the Audiophile 2496 and will never go back to Creative because:

1. The LiveSynth Pro DXi softsynth lets you use Soundfonts on ANY soundcard.
2. Creative's support absolutely SUCKS. Their XP drivers for the Live series still do not work correctly

You must mean the Sound Blaster Audigy, not Audiology.

The only advantage this card has over the Audiophile is that it has a fairly usable synth/sampler engine. If you have no MIDI gear, then it's really quite a bargain.

But as a recording card the Audiophile blows it out of the water. I also don't like the fact that Creative strongly implies that the Audigy is a 24-bit recording card but it's not -- it only plays back 24-bit WAV files in 24-bit.

No contest

The Audiophile is the better card in every way, and it's cheaper. As discussed above you can play sound fonts with LiveSynth and DXi-capable host like SONAR. But the hands down end all be all killer reason to get the Audiophile instead of the other is the WDM drivers.

Last edited:
Id go with the Audiophile and a cheap-ass Soundblaster Live for soundfonts.....especially if your system isnt up to snuff for running softsynths......

I bought the Audigy value, posted about it awhile back. It is a nice replacement for the Live, but it really is a 16 bit card. It is limited to 16 bit / 48K recording external analog; despite looking everywhere I can't get a straight answer on whether it actually plays back pre-existing 24 bit waves, which is why I bought it. While it seems that would be easy to tell, my old Live card would also "play" 24 bit files as 16 bit, and I don't have good monitors on this system or another PC nearby to do side-by-side comparison. It's only compatibility with 96K sampleing is that it will send/receive 96K sampled files through it's external digital connections.

The Audigy "value" at $50-$65 is a decent value, a good beginner card and a great PC games card. But for real recording I have to think the Audiophile would be a much better choice.

Welll...

Greetings,

Well then, that about settles it...

thanks for the info...i thought it was a true 24bit card, and didn't realize there was so much other support for soundfonts!

SirRiff

Back