budget boundary mics?

Jenny.

Does anyone have any thoughts re-budget boundary mics? Whether it would be worth experimenting with them? ANd if yes are there budget mics which are worth playing around with? My recording space is a log cabin 14ft x 11ft x 9ft. It has quite a nice atmosphere but not sure if that would translate? Never used them before. Jen.

You can make your own boundary mic. quite easily.

Take a small tie microphone and stick it with sticky tape onto the boundary. :cool: :D

This is what people often do when recording a grand piano - a couple of DPA or Sennheiser miniature tie microphones stuck to the piano lid with hypo-allergenic sticky tape.

The other way is to use a ceiling tile and drill a small hole in it very slightly smaller than the mic. and then carefully push the mic. through from the back until it is flush with the surface.

The only inexpensive boundary (PZM) mic. I would use is the old Tandy (Radio Shack) one and then do the 48V phantom power modification or use a 9V battery instead of the 1.5V one - oh, and also cut of the 2-pole jack and replace it with a balanced XLR (the mic. is balanced internally all the way to the plug, they just put an unbalanced plug on it).

Every single mic I use is a budget boundary mic. I mean, every mic purchase I make has my budget as the boundary! :D

The main issue is that if the mic is not flush with the surface you get comb filtering effects. That spectrogram that looks like the edge of a saw blade. Even with mics that look like a snow cone without the boundary on the same spectrogram. It's all compromises.

You might like a pair of OMNI mics better. Depending on the space and gear being used. at4022's? avenson STO-2's? MKH 8020's / MKH 8040's? ???

What's the budget?

Back