Broken Strings

plasma009

I have an epiphone les paul. I finally put new strings on it ( Gibson Ace Frehley strings). The problem that I have is it keeps breaking the D string after playing for a few hours. I replaced the string with a Ghs string because I had some extra sets. It has broken 4 times now and I dont see any reason for it to break. Has anyone else ran into this ? The original set that came with it lasted for over 3 months of playing every day and never broke a string.

I also have a Gibson SG that had a similar problem with the A string. I used Ghs Boomers on that ( light gage).
Am I doing something wrong or is it the strings?
This is driving me crazy !!!

Curt

It is breaking on the saddle, I didnt see or feel any burrs. The saddle has an adjustment on it that seemed loose in the slot. was wondering if movement from vibration? I dont understand how the first set could last so long. I know its an epiphone but the guitar plays very well and has a great sound.

Curt

There is a burr there...

...I used to think it was strings, but you gotta look real close.

After I break a wound string I take the remains and use it as a file in the saddle. Couple strokes back and forth.

You'll see.

Or maybe since Kiss don't sell that many records any more, they're seeking a way to supplement their income by selling short lived strings... :rolleyes:

Lower your bridge on the d string or it is you. Some guitar players go through fazes unless this has gone on for a long time.but try lowering your bridge on the d string

Go to the exact spot of breakage and file it a bit with the broken string as suggested. Throw on a little graphite for good measure.

Filed with broken string

I filed the saddle with the broken string and it is working good. Thanks for the tips, was really frustrating !!

Curt

Back