Broken hardshell case latches

Incanus

Nerd-man
Can these be replaced or repaired?

From what I've learned so far, it looks like they can't.

I'd sure hate to throw away a cool, old case that's otherwise in good condition, but with two broken latches it looks like I have little choice.

Does anyone know of any solution to this?

I'm sure you can buy replacement latches. How are they attached? Even if it's rivets you could drill them out. Hell, I'd just put new latches next to the broken ones before throwing the case out.

Go to your local music store, and if they have a band department, ask if they have anyone fixing band instruments. If so, bet your left nut they will fix your case lickety-split for cheap. Where I am, I see them fixing sax cases every ten minutes, and that includes replacing latches. Anything can be fixed. They will reglue the lining and use blind rivets if they have. You will never know it was repaired after they are done.

Any good hardware store (even Lowe's or Home Depot) is likely to carry replacement "cargo latches." You probably wont find an exact match so if apperance is important you'll have to replace them all, locking latches may be hard to find but the latches are common and fairly easy to install. There is no reason to toss out a good case just because it needs new latches. Replacing a case can easily cost over $100 while a set of latches can cost less than $20, money is tight all over.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm working on it, but still no luck.

OSH doesn't carry latches (at least not on their website), Home Depot doesn't, Michael's doesn't, guitar center doesn't, Our local guitar workshop doesn't, the local shoe & luggage repair store doesn't (at least he'll do the work if I bring him the part.)

I have a band music store to check, but their not open mondays. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm working on it, but still no luck.

OSH doesn't carry latches (at least not on their website), Home Depot doesn't, Michael's doesn't, guitar center doesn't, Our local guitar workshop doesn't, the local shoe & luggage repair store doesn't (at least he'll do the work if I bring him the part.)

I have a band music store to check, but their not open mondays. Will try tomorrow.

Yah, give Kline music a call.

I had one latch on a Jackson case that was missing when I got it. I found the one shown in the image below at a local hardware store. It doesn't match the other two on the case, but it works. Pop riveted on with some backing washers inside.
home depot and lowes both have that latch.

Google "road case hardware" or something similar and you will find various companies that sell latches of all sorts online.

I recently did business with DB Little (www.dblittle.com) and I can recommend them.

OK. Update--

Just got off the phone with a 'band' music store. They can do it, and they have the parts. And, best of all, they're not even two blocks away!! (I can walk it over there.)

As far as the hardware stores went, I probably didn't search quite right (didn't try 'cargo latches'; I went through pages of latches for doors and gates, to no avail).

The luggage guy was the first place I went--he could do the work, but couldn't (or wouldn't) order the part.

I knew I could order the parts on line, but I only wanted to do that as a last resort.

Looks like it will work out, so thanks again to everyone for the help.

Back