bringing tracks to the studio/sync/software

Joel Glassman

Hi everyone --
I play many acoustic instruments and electric guitar...
I'd like to record tracks on my home pc and bring them to a professional studio
to be synch'ed, mixed and mastered. Have used Audacity and Reaper in the past
but I don't use click tracks, just layer a guitar rhythm track over a wav collage
and make a multitrack arrangement on top (discarding the original wav collage)
Just found out about ProTools Express. Hopefully Express tracks could be imported
into the Pro version of ProTools. Seems like the best solution, but who knows?
If I export wav tracks from Audacity or Reaper,
how could they be synch'ed? Hopefully not by ear or "trial and error". It would
seem impossible. If I made a 2 bar click track at the top of my initial wav file
and tapped out a rhythm to it each time, could my multitrack wav files be
aligned visually? Grateful for any ideas you may have...
Hopefully this explanation is clear, for I am sort of a newbie :^)
thanks--Joel

Hi,
If I understand correctly, there are two main options.

The first is to use software that's compatible with the studio's software.
I think you're right about PT express - The sessions should open in full PT, if that's what the studio uses.
That's the easiest solution; The studio would also get your automation, panning, effects etc if you do any of that.

The other way is to bounce the wavs and have the studio line them up in their daw.
The way to avoid any manual lining or guess work is to just export every track with the same start point.

I don't know about your DAW, but in PT I select a region, solo the tracks I want, then bounce it out.
If I started every track from 0:00:00 (or any given time point), then they'd all line up in anyone's DAW.

Your idea about a reference click would work too. It's probably a little more hassle though, and there's room for error.

Record ALL your tracks from the start of the timeline...the "ZERO" point....even if you are only dropping a few guitar licks at the chorus or wherever, on any given track.

Then export each track as a WAV audio file.

You can then import those WAV files into any DAW on the planet to individual tracks...and they will be in exactlyy the same sync as they were in your DAW.

If your tracks include edits you can consolidate and export them and they'll all have the same starting point (at least in the PT I've used). I would save the project with a new name before consolidating.

Back