Bring My Guitars to a New Level

northsiderap

Here's an mp3 of my guitar work

The guitar sounds decent and plays solidly; it's even handmade.

The room is pretty dead.

The mic is a GTAM62 through an API 312. Still doesn't sound quite full to me. Feel free to add your input.

Am I too picky? (No pun intended)

Last edited:
Recording Aspect:

I usually record with the mic about 18" away from the sound hole, pointing towards the 12th fret. The mic is usually about 6-8 inches higher than the guitar. The mic is almost always on a cardoid pattern.

With the mic 18" away, I usually turn myself (and the guitar) left or right a little bit for each track... I guess so it doesn't get too swampy with the same tones for each track.

The wall a couple of feet behind me is half damped, half natural wood. Behind the mic there is about eight feet, and that's where my extra speakers are stacked every which way; to break up the reflections I guess.

I record in the room diagonally, the room is about 10x12 feet. It is the spare bedroom/control room, so it has a mattress leaning against one wall and a bed on one wall. The speakers are stacked at the foot of the bed. There are two @42" x 32" double pane windows (with storm panes also) upon which I have hung medium thickness sheets over for the neighbors minimal benefit.

Perhaps the mic sock and/or grille of the mic kills or phases a lot of the finer details in the higher frequencies. I am going to try something reflective behind the mic to enhance the high end frequencies.

Anyone know what pattern I should try when doing this?

That's a great song and awesomely played. I love it.

My comments on the recording: I feel that the panning is weird. I felt like I had one sound front/ centre, then maybe an echo of that rhythm on the right, then maybe the lead on the left but also echoed and delayed on the right. It just didn't sound right to me. It sounded trippy. I think you should have definite places in the mix for each part. The rhythm could be hard left and then hard right with a fraction of delay on the right if you want to give it a bit of fullness. The lead bit could be fractionally right, with your vocal in the middle and the bass there too. I don't know.

At the end of the day, the tones seem ok, the song is great but you seem to have too much reverb or delay or echo there. Definitely pull all those things back. Maybe the mix is fine, maybe it's just the delay that is making this sound a little off.

Any chance you could send me a transcription of that song!?

Transcription

The song was written by me... Sketch this out and you'll get a rundown of what's happening:

D9 - G - D9 - C

D9 - G - G - G

walk to - C - -> Cmaj7 -

Fmaj7 ---> Emaj7 -

D7 - G - D7 - C

That'll bring you up to the solo which just walks down to A7/E9/Ab9/Db9 etc.

Please give me credit for it - My stage name is PanicJ - Contact me for recording/reproduction rights

Back