Bring guitar pedals on plane?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
So I'm flyin' out to see a friend...We're playing a show so I need to bring guitar and pedals. I'm bringing my guitar on the plane with its hard case, which apparently I can do...But...
If I threw my guitar pedals in the case with the guitar, would that make it through customs? Or would they really frown on that...I mean, it can't look good to see a bunch of metal with a bunch of electronics. Last thing I want is to lose my pedals to airline security.

Thoughts?

-Elliot

i took a small ART tube preamp on a plane once... this was in 2000 so it was before the heightened security. however, when i did take it, i took it through carry on knowing that it wouldn't look good on x ray. i just explained what it was to the security guard.

i would say that's still the best bet.

s

So I'm flyin' out to see a friend...We're playing a show so I need to bring guitar and pedals. I'm bringing my guitar on the plane with its hard case, which apparently I can do...But...
If I threw my guitar pedals in the case with the guitar, would that make it through customs? Or would they really frown on that...I mean, it can't look good to see a bunch of metal with a bunch of electronics. Last thing I want is to lose my pedals to airline security.

Thoughts?

-Elliot
I'm in Australia so the airlines might have different rules, but I put my pedals in the normal baggage (sometimes in the case, sometimes a bag, sometimes I take the whole pedal board). I've also put them in my carry on with no issues, I'm sure security have seen effects pedals before (they probably play in bands hahaha). So pretty much any combo I could, no issues.

Wouldn't worry too much about it. They can smell fear.

Great to know. I think I'll just throw them in my carryon guitar case and explain the situation.

Thanks for the info.

As a Customs officer I would have no problems seeing the circuitry of an effects pedal on an x-ray - people travel with laptops etc all the time. BUT, we don't do airline security. Those guys may want a closer look if they see something in your bag that reminds them of a bomb's circuit diagram, however.

There was an old story I heard about George Lynch getting hassled at a border because the guards thought his univibe was a bomb detonator :laughings:

This is all well and good but still mail them ahead and there will be no problems don't take any chances. Look at how they handle every day items such as shampoo.
You could call the airport security that you'll be traveling with and ask them about it.
The one thing you don't want to do is try to hide them say like in your shorts or taped to your ribs :laughings::laughings:

Arcaxis makes a good point. If the pedal is a commercially-made one, it's look might allay the inspectors fears. Perhaps either a copy of your purchase receipt, and/or a copy of an ad for that pedal might help, too. Fold it in half and wrap it around the pedal with a rubberband, so the inspector has a ready reference to what the heck that thing is.

Arcaxis makes a good point. If the pedal is a commercially-made one, it's look might allay the inspectors fears. Perhaps either a copy of your purchase receipt, and/or a copy of an ad for that pedal might help, too. Fold it in half and wrap it around the pedal with a rubberband, so the inspector has a ready reference to what the heck that thing is.

Ooo, now there's a good idea. I have some homemade pedals though..hm...well I'll figure something out.
Thanks

Also as far as batteries go, I never use batteries, and I'll make sure I don't have any in the pedals.

I have some homemade pedals though..hm...well I'll figure something out.
Thanks.

THAT could cause problems. Electronic gear of an unidentified nature, with buttons, knobs, and LEDs?

Definitely take Steve's idea and attach an ad for each of the production pedals to it to help allay concerns. Also don't be surprised if you have to open them up for security - maybe bring a small screwdriver for this purpose.

That said, your best bet is to call the airline and explain your situation in advance. :shrug:

Those Aqua Teen kids DJ at the bar where I work sometimes. He doesn't like being asked about it. I found that out after asking him about it. He was my hero until I realized he's a big cockhead. :laughings:

Those Aqua Teen kids DJ at the bar where I work sometimes. He doesn't like being asked about it. I found that out after asking him about it. He was my hero until I realized he's a big cockhead. :laughings:
Kids? Like the creators of Aqua Teen DJ at the bar?
Man, too bad. I hate cockheads.

Kids? Like the creators of Aqua Teen DJ at the bar?
Man, too bad. I hate cockheads.

No, there was a bomb scare around here which, as it turned out, was actually a viral promotion for an ATHF movie. Two boston area kids got arrested over it, and basically handled themselves like titanic asshats. :p

I'd put them in checked baggage.

Ditto. Just did that a few months ago with some pedals on Delta, flying from St Louis to Providence. I pulled the batteries in them all, and put them right on top of my clothes in my checked luggage. No issues, didn't even look like they were touched/moved when I got back home.

I just flew with a guitar+pedal as cabin baggage last month. There were no questions or anything like that. I even did not think of it something suspicious. Even there was a battery inside the pedal. But, then again here is Europe, I guess airplane security is more strict in America.

Back