Brilliant or regular?

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
I´ve been doing a little research before buying my next crash. It would be great if I could try it first and comparte to what I have and see if they blend or not. This is not possible because I live outside US and the dealer here is broken. Using the sound check on SABIAN´s page I found the studio crash and compare it with my stage crash (both 16"). I like it, so that´s my next cymbal. Next question is: brilliant or regular??. My complete setup is:

AAX Stage Performance Setup (hats, ride & crash)-regular
8" AAX Splash (brilliant)
12" AAX Mini Chinesse (brilliant)

Please help me to decide, be my ears, I´ll trust you. I have no choice :D

Thanks in advance
TS

I've never liked Brilliant cymbals. I don't know how you are about keeping them clean, etc. but Brilliants especially show every fingerprint, piece of dust, etc.

On a sound note, Brilliant cymbals actually have a more muted tone - they are not brighter. The buffing process smooths out the grooves a tiny bit. Hope this helps...

Actually, for what it's worth, the samples on the Sabian website are good representations of how they sound, if one can't make it to a store where they live or whatever.

i prefer regualar finishes. brilliant cymbals tend to sound cheap in my opinion (i admit i haven't heard any in a while, though, so maybe they're better nowadays). brilliant finishes also get really ugly from all those fingerprints. you should always go with what sounds best, but if you're at the store and you like two cymbals equally, one brilliant and one regular, i'd suggest choosing the regular finish.

reg all the way.

I am assuming this is for recording. Budget mics often add a lot of top end and the brilliant cymbals can sometime sounds nasty, reg cymbals will just help that little bit :)

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions. When I asked the question I was about to order, I didn´t wait and talked to a drummer friend who has a lot of experience and have played with great bands around here. He said, try brilliant. Now after reading what you´ve said I think I made a mistake going with that finish, I hate fingerprints, I always handle my cymbals with a soft cloth and clean them after a gig (as possible). :(
I´ll talk to midwestpercussion and see if I can change the finish....cross your fingers.

Thanks
TS

TamaSabian said:
I´ve been doing a little research before buying my next crash. It would be great if I could try it first and comparte to what I have and see if they blend or not. This is not possible because I live outside US and the dealer here is broken. Using the sound check on SABIAN´s page I found the studio crash and compare it with my stage crash (both 16"). I like it, so that´s my next cymbal. Next question is: brilliant or regular??. My complete setup is:

AAX Stage Performance Setup (hats, ride & crash)-regular
8" AAX Splash (brilliant)
12" AAX Mini Chinesse (brilliant)

Please help me to decide, be my ears, I´ll trust you. I have no choice :D

Thanks in advance
TS

I have a mixture of brilliant and reg. I like having both because it adds more textures to your kit, for different accents/expressions and such. I don't really care if the brilliants get fingerprints, c'est la vie! I just polish em every couple months or so.

If you are looking for your new crash to be the same texture as your other crash, get the regular. But if you go with the brilliant it will add more variety, and its not to say that just because it's brilliant it doesn't match the cymbal family. It's still AAX, and it's a 16 like your other crash so it'll match fine whether it's brilliant or reg....(but I'd get an 18" if I were you ;] )

Thanks for your comment. I´ll go with brilliant because there´s no enough time to return my cymbal to midwestpercussion so they can change it. I thought about 18" crash but it was a matter of budget what define my choice.

Bye
TS

Back