'Bright vocals' on cubase 6 elements how do you deal with this?

MasterRS

Okay so i've recorded about 10-15 songs just to mess about with and play on terms of EQ, after my mixing book i've been reading told me one of the best ways to learn is experiment..basically put my mixes out there to friends..facebook you know people..and they all say my quality sounds good but i sound really 'bright' eq wise..and i've been suggested to use subtractive eq..i record on a macbookpro i5..2.4ghz and 320 GB ram..2010 model with cubase 6 elements..but i find cubase 6 element's eq a bit kind of weak to be honest..no matter how much I play with it i don't seem to get a 'pro sound'..alot of the time i'm working against mp3 instrumentals..but i hear the same rappers on the same mp3 instrumentals sounding alot more mixed/eq'ed better..how do you guys kind of deal with this? i know obviously everyone vocals are different..but per say 'bright vocals'..also do you guys know like of any temporary soundproofing you can get for say rented accommodation ?

The best way of dealing with it is at source.
Mic choice. Room treatment, singing style.
But as you say you've recorded some stuff to mess around with and try to fix the problem.
What eq setting have you tried.
Its likely you will only be able to do limited damage control as eq should only be lightly applied anyway.
Try not to get so much room in the vocal by using room treatment. You can make your own broadband and bass traps.
Theres loads of articles on how too here in the studio builds section.
What mic and preamp and interface are you using?

Back