Bright airy modern rock guitar tone

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
I've been beating my head up against a wall for forever now trying to match modern rock mixes but I'm just not getting it. First and foremost, my guitar tones are not nearly as bright and airy as most mixes and I really just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
I've uploaded a clip of my guitar tone as it stands. tracks are completely dry
View attachment Guitar.mp3

Ive got a prs custom 24 into a blackstar HT-5 Head into a 1x12 cab (vintage 30 speaker)

From there its into a SM57(right at edge of cone) -> USB interface-> REAPER

I've tried boosting the top end using reapers EQ, I've tried put the mic in the direct center of the cone, I've tried condenser mics in the center of the cone and nothing gives me the top end I'm looking for.

HALP!!

Try boosting the top end while cutting at around 2500 to 3500 Hz with a Q width of 1 or so.

Cheers :)

I've been beating my head up against a wall for forever now trying to match modern rock mixes but I'm just not getting it. First and foremost, my guitar tones are not nearly as bright and airy as most mixes and I really just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
I've uploaded a clip of my guitar tone as it stands. tracks are completely dry
View attachment 78302

Ive got a prs custom 24 into a blackstar HT-5 Head into a 1x12 cab (vintage 30 speaker)

From there its into a SM57(right at edge of cone) -> USB interface-> REAPER

I've tried boosting the top end using reapers EQ, I've tried put the mic in the direct center of the cone, I've tried condenser mics in the center of the cone and nothing gives me the top end I'm looking for.

HALP!!

Putting the mic in the direct center of the cone will be best if you're looking for bright tone. The brightest position to record a guitar speaker is a few inches away from the grill, directly in the center of the cone.

If you put the mic and the edge of the cone RIGHT against the grille, you're getting the most low end, and the more lows you have, the less apparent the highs are. You're getting more low end here because of a mix of the proximity effect of the cardioid microphone and because speakers have most of their high end coming from the center of the cone.

So to start off, if you want a REALLY bright tone, set your microphone a few inches from the grille so you won't have the proximity effect darkening up your sound, and put it in the center of the cone.

Last edited:
Yes, is the tone bright in the room? That's the first step.

MrWrenchy has the right idea. Move the mic around until you get a brighter tone. Simple, right?

For interest's sake, why did you choose the edge of the cone as the mic position of choice? What brought you there? I'm just curious to know since you're looking for a bright, airy tone.

Cheers :)

proximity effect

I never even considered this.... :facepalm: :o I'm just gonna back away and go put myself in a corner haha....

I kept the mic about an inch away from the grill and at the edge of the cone to retain a little bit of bottom end. Everyone always mentions that it's always a good starting point and I assumed that if everyone else was doing it that way then I must be doing something wrong.
I suppose that's why so many people put condenser mics a ways back from the speaker in tandem with the close miced dynamic.
I had tried all of my mics in every position I could think of but not once did I remember the proximity effect as a factor.
I also noticed that the high end could get a little but of a bump in the mastering phase, but for right now that's a little over my head.

Thanks for pointing that out to me... :o

Back