bridge/intonation technique question

notCardio

I walk the line
Not a very good title, but I didn't know what else to call it.

I've got a bridge (well, more than one like this) that has the screws for adjusting the intonation located directly below the strings. It seems to me that you'd have to guess as to where the saddle should be moved to, loosen the string, move the saddle, retighten the string, check the intonation, and repeat until you get it right. Surely, there's got to be a better way.

You should loosen the strings before you do any adjustments to the bridge or saddles. If you don't the string acts as a clamp and you run the risk of stripping the threads and head slots. I see a LOT of them..

Not a very good title, but I didn't know what else to call it.

I've got a bridge (well, more than one like this) that has the screws for adjusting the intonation located directly below the strings. It seems to me that you'd have to guess as to where the saddle should be moved to, loosen the string, move the saddle, retighten the string, check the intonation, and repeat until you get it right. Surely, there's got to be a better way.
yeah ...... wouldn't want to have to put a slight bit of effort into it.

With a tune-o-matic I use a pretty long screwdriver and push the string slightly to the side with the screwdriver while adjusting. After adjusting you've got to retune the string anyway.

It seems to me that you'd have to guess as to where the saddle should be moved to....

There's no guessing...use a tuner and intonate until it's in as best tune as possible.

If the string is sharp you move the saddle away from the headstock to lengthen the string.
If the string is flat, you move it in the opposite direction.

Also....why are you loosening the string????
Just turn the screws with the string at tension.
If the saddle isn't moving easily, you can lift the string off the saddle and put it down next to the saddle on the bridge, then put it back when you move the saddle...but leave it at tension.

If the saddle isn't moving easily, you can lift the string off the saddle and put it down next to the saddle on the bridge, then put it back when you move the saddle...but leave it at tension.

You and multi should have a screaming fight to the death over this one...:eek: :laughings:

There's no guessing...use a tuner and intonate until it's in as best tune as possible.

If the string is sharp you move the saddle away from the headstock to lengthen the string.
If the string is flat, you move it in the opposite direction.

Well, if you read my op again, you can't reach the screws to move the saddle while the string is at tension. You have to actually be able to move the string out of the saddle to adjust it. It just seems like a ridiculously poor design to begin with.

No it's not a poor design. You really should get in the habit of slacking the strings and then tweaking. Of you don't you will end up stripping threads eventually. It isn't hard plus you soon get a feel for how far you need to slacken the string by and you can still intonate with it tuned down a good few steps.

Well, if you read my op again, you can't reach the screws to move the saddle while the string is at tension. You have to actually be able to move the string out of the saddle to adjust it. It just seems like a ridiculously poor design to begin with.

I know how strings sit on a bridge....:)...as a matter of fact, I just did an intonation last night on one of my guitars, and yeah, the saddle screws are right under the string, but I've not had to move the strings just to get at the screws.
If you use the right size screw driver, and hold it a little off-angle, it's not that hard to get at them.

If it's easier for you to move the string off the saddle and out of the way as I suggested, then do that...or if you are having a hard time turning the screws with the full tension of the string.
I've not run into that problem too many times, or stripped a screw out ever.
If it's not turning easy....I move the string off the saddle (much faster than loosening/tightening it all the time, IMO).
If a saddle is real tight, I take a toothpick, dip it in some silicone spray, and then just dab on the screw threads a little, and they move real easy after that, even with full tension.

Umm let me think? if you move the string off the saddle you are slackening the string and freeing the tension on the saddle,correct? You will also have to retune, correct? I really don't see your point here, correct?

If I lift a tensioned string off the saddle (and I ONLY do that when/if the saddle is tight and won't move)...I am NOT loosening the string, and it doesn't go out of tune. There is less effect on the string than bending would cause.
It's being lifted about 1 mm to get it of the saddle.

Loosening it and re-tightening is a PITA and just drags out the whole process, IMO.

And I never stripped out a saddle screw.

If I lift a tensioned string off the saddle (and I ONLY do that when/if the saddle is tight and won't move)...I am NOT loosening the string, and it doesn't go out of tune. There is less effect on the string than bending would cause.
It's being lifted about 1 mm to get it of the saddle.

Loosening it and re-tightening is a PITA and just drags out the whole process, IMO.

And I never stripped out a saddle screw.

:facepalm:

Have it your way, you have the last word.

This get's me more interested what kind of design the bridge is, an old Floyd Rose perhaps?
Floyd-Rose-Parts.gif

I loosen the strings a little to set intonation. It's not a big deal. You don't have to completely remove them and twisting a machine head takes no time or energy.

I loosen the strings a little to set intonation. It's not a big deal. You don't have to completely remove them and twisting a machine head takes no time or energy.
^^^^ this ^^^^^

If you think setting intonation on a tune-o-matic is too much work you definitely don't want to be a drumber!

Back