Breakin' in a mic?

Bodhisan

Hillbilly
Over at a steel guitar forum I frequent, the raves have been over the newest steel amp from Peavey, a 12" cabinet (steelers for the past 40 years had preferred 15" speakers in steel amps), yet it's been claimed you need to "break the speaker in" before it sounds good, i.e. some people run a CD through it at a very high volume all day to break it in....

Uh, be that as it may, are my ears deceiving me, or is my AEA R84 ribbon sounding better after using it for over six months? I had never liked it that well for my vocals and time after time preferred, after a/b'ing them, my T3 to the ribbon, but after going back and trying again, I now prefer the R84 as my vocal mic. I've been using it almost daily for recording fiddle, bass cabinet, and other acoustic instruments, so...can it be...it's...at the risk of sounding ignorant... "broken in?"

Dunno about ribbon mics breaking in, but it seems like you've become used to the R84, which is one incredible mic. Perhaps the T3 has gotten harsh to your ears by comparison.

Hmm, no... there really isn't anything to break-in on a ribbon mic (or at least not that I know of).

I've heard that headphones 'break in'. I have a set of sennheiser HD497's. Is that true? Or is it a myth?

Also, I have been wanting to ask...if monitor speakers are so good for sound...and nice clean untainted sound...why do manufacturers not use monitor type speakers on home stereos and hifi's?

I mean, why is it that to mix a song really well, you require monitor speakers, but in the end the music will inveriably be played on 'coloured' soeakers?

With speakers, the surrounds come stiff from the factory, and some vigorous flexing helps them to "relax" a bit. Over time, the ribbon in a microphone may stretch or sag a bit, sooner if it's been abused. It's possible that that has happened.

As to why monitor speakers aren't used in consumer gear - what usually sells speakers to consumers is heavy bass and sparkly highs. The recordist needs to hear what's going on in the middle just as much, if not more. Put two speakers in front of John Q. Public, and he's going to buy the cheaper set with the thumpin' bass.

Back