breaching copy-right?

thesobe

Hey, I've been looking through this site on and off for about 3 years now, and i've learned alot so far so thanks to all those who contribute.

On to my question, you know those programs that help you design cd covers and labels? Well ive got a niffty image that came off one of those programs, that i want to use on my cd which i'll possibly sell after gigs (if there's any interest)...is this wise? Its obviously not going to sell a million copies or anything, but even if by chance the guy/company that owns the image finds out do they have a case to sue me or whatever? I feel a bit cheap doing it anyway, but i modified the image slightly so its not a complete rip-off...(c=

Any advise or comments would be appreciated.

hmm...not sure, im guessing you mean when i installed the software? this might come back to haunt me coz the company is based in Dundee (Scotland) which is just up the road from me really... what the hell.

doesnt say anything in there as far as i could see...its not much of a manual though. i'l check again none the less. do you think i would be covered if i said something on the inside along the lines of 'cover and label art courtesy(althought its not really) of Press-it ltd.' ?

Hi thesobe,

My advice: play safe. If you have to ask the question, leave it alone. Because it means you don't know if you can use it. And that means (potentially) you can be sued. Get a friend to shoot a similar image, or perhaps something else entirely that conveys what you want to say. But if you don't know, and don't have the legal means to get to know, don't touch.

Best,

CC

I agree... Generally the safest practice is...
If you don't know and don't have the means to find out...
It's probably better to go with something you know you can use.
You could do one other thing though... Contact the company.
I'm sure they have an email address or a phone number.

Back