Brazilian Indie Rock band.

CMolena

Hi, guys.

This is a session from a collective which I work. We basically record bands from around town and upload the performances to Youtube so they have a decent quality material to share with their fans and stuff. We also organize some gigs for those bands to play in.

Anyway, these guys were kind of short on money, so they couldnt afford to pay a studio to record them. So I took my faithfull 4 track interface and decided to do it for free.

The setup of mics was:

Drums - A single mono OH (MXL V67)
Guitar and Bass: Shure SM57 in front of the amps
Vocals: Output from mixing desk.

I really did not do much on the mixing stage. I doubled the drum track, though. I compressed one of them...like really a lot of compression just to add a little bit of punch to them.
I could have used the Tchad Blake Method on the drums, but, this drummer is really jazz oriented...so I wanted to capture a more "open" sounding drum kit.

Well, I wish I could hear you guys opinion on this track and mix. Any info will be helpful for future mixes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVC0Xa7rZD4

that was so good. that drummer is awesome.
the only thing the mix needs is to cut the mud range b/c there is buildup. probably 400hz and/or maybe someone in the 60-300 range.

The mix is pretty nice. The vocals are sitting in the mix well. The drums sound pretty good. The guitars sound a little lacking in presence. The Bass guitar A string is flat.

Back