Brand spankin' new!

jodest73

Hi, all! Brand new to this whole game, and trying to learn all I can (even though I feel like I'm learning a whole new language). I am a songwriter (lyricist and melody). I have no desire to perform my material myself (at least not commercially). So, this is what I'm trying to accomplish: I just want to be able to play my keyboard and sing into a mic; be able to record/save the info onto my PC's hard drive (as a .mid file) which I can then convert into a .wav or .mp3 file for burning to a CD and uploading to the internet. I'm not necessarily interested in mixing, editing, or anything like that! Only want to be able to put my music "out there" for others to listen to, critique, etc.

I use a Yamaha PSR-41 keyboard with MIDI output. I have a Dell PC, running Windows XP. Currently I'm using Voyetra's USB Music Studio Kit for software but now know it won't work (can't burn a CD from it, and can't record voice!).

And budget is a BIG concern! Any software suggestions? (I'm thinking of just upgrading to Voyetra's Record Producer Deluxe). And then if I purchase a mic (just a basic PC desktop one), will I be able to do what I've outlined?

Looking for ANY help/comments/suggestions from people who have "been there", so to speak! Thanks in advance for any advice! Can also email me privately at topdogenterprises@msn.com.

Thanks again! :)

jodest73 said:
Hi, all! Brand new to this whole game, and trying to learn all I can (even though I feel like I'm learning a whole new language). I am a songwriter (lyricist and melody). I have no desire to perform my material myself (at least not commercially). So, this is what I'm trying to accomplish: I just want to be able to play my keyboard and sing into a mic; be able to record/save the info onto my PC's hard drive (as a .mid file) which I can then convert into a .wav or .mp3 file for burning to a CD and uploading to the internet. I'm not necessarily interested in mixing, editing, or anything like that! Only want to be able to put my music "out there" for others to listen to, critique, etc.

I use a Yamaha PSR-41 keyboard with MIDI output. I have a Dell PC, running Windows XP. Currently I'm using Voyetra's USB Music Studio Kit for software but now know it won't work (can't burn a CD from it, and can't record voice!).

And budget is a BIG concern! Any software suggestions? (I'm thinking of just upgrading to Voyetra's Record Producer Deluxe). And then if I purchase a mic (just a basic PC desktop one), will I be able to do what I've outlined?

Looking for ANY help/comments/suggestions from people who have "been there", so to speak! Thanks in advance for any advice! Can also email me privately at topdogenterprises@msn.com.

Thanks again! :)

As for vocals, since budget is a concern, you may want to check out n-track studio. I can't remember the exact website for it but do a google search for it. Also you may want to invest in plugins for your programs (a plugin is additional software that can be used in programs that support it). You may hear vst, dx, or rtas a lot. rtas only works on pro tools for the most part. You can find these on www.kvr-vst.com.

You can also get a free version of protools on digidesign.com. You may also want to check www.hitsquad.com/smm for demo and freeware software.

The problem with the statement you made
"I just want to be able to play my keyboard and sing into a mic; be able to record/save the info onto my PC's hard drive (as a .mid file) which I can then convert into a .wav or .mp3 file for burning to a CD and uploading to the internet. I'm not necessarily interested in mixing, editing, or anything like that!" is the fact that you can't record vocals to midi. Midi is just signals going to the computer for arrangement. Instruments can be changed with midi. What I would do first is go to these sites I mentioned and scope them out and see what would work best for you and then we can work from there.

If you need anything feel free to send me a pm.

Thanks, Fieva! You have been most helpful! I will check out these sources, and appreciate your offer of future assistance (which I probably will take you up on!) :) Thanks again!

No prob, I'm semi-new to this forum, but if I can help you out it's no prob man.

Back