Brand New to this. Help !

Ahmacrom

So, I inherited some equipment from my uncle and it was packed away and I get to use it for recording. The problem is I have no idea! I have a new computer, an Edirol ua1000 and a Spirit Folio Rac Pac mixer for starters. How do I hook this stuff up? I want to record bass and guitar, drums and vocals. Do the group outs from the mixer go to the input of the soundcard? In the front of the soundcard or the back? There are so many I/O ! I have an amp and monitors too. Where do I go from the soundcard back to the mixer?

I'm not familiar with your equipment but it would seem your Edirol device is an audio interface that hooks up to your PC via USB and replaces your PC's internal soundcard (which, despite whatever claims are made by the PC manufacturer, generally isn't up to pro audio standards). I'm assuming that's what you're calling "soundcard" later in your post. It's more than a soundcard.. call it an interface.

Your mixer is of no great use this stage...

So you'd go

microphone (vocal or instrument) -> Edirol interface (the inputs are usually on the front) -> PC via USB -> DAW software

Your device probably has the ability to cope with both microphone level and instrument/line level inputs, so anything like a keyboard you could plug straight in. You may have to select an input impedance (mic/line) somewhere there to do that...

That enough for now? You're missing software at this stage. Reaper is a fully functional free trial and used a lot around here.

Read the other threads like yours.. there's about 5 a day... you'll find all sorts of links to useful info.

I suggest looking around the internet to download owner's manuals for your equipment.

Back