Brand New Dude! Newbie needing help w/ Sound Forge 7.0 & Audition 1.5

Graham2017

Brand New Dude! Newbie to ALL recording aspects! Help wanted / appreicated!

Hey folks!
I would first like to say, I'm new to the site, and have found nothing but helpful information, and others in need like me on this site :P.
A little backround, I'm currently 16 years old, I've been playing drums since I was 9, and I'm in a band (pretty generic eh?). Heres my kit setup:

Yamaha Stage Custom Drums- 12", 13", and 16" toms (I use the 13 and 16 as floor toms)
Tama snares - 14x7 Maple Artwood Snare, 13x3 Hand Hammered Steel Soprano Snare
Zildjian Cymbals - 15" A Custom Fast Crash, 17" A Custom Projection Crash, 8" K Custom Splash, 21" Z Custom Megabell Ride, 16" Oriental China Trash, 14" Quick Beat Hihats
Sabian Cymbals - Medium Max Stax (14"/12")

Heres the other setup I have to work with:
Guitar - PRS McCarty Custom Single Cutaway (no longer made, due to Gibson's Lawsuit)
Guitar Amp - Dyna-Touch III Stage 1600 Guitar Combo Amp
Guitar Pedal - Boss GT6
Bass - Fender American Precision Bass
Bass Amp - Hartke 350w head with 4x10 cabinet (400w)
Mic - Shure SM58 Vocal Mic (Dynamic)
PA - 2x Crate PS215HDT Speakers, Crate PX900DLX Powered Mixer (12 Channel)
I have a little Tascam 414mkII (4 track analog recorder) That I use rarely, and I'm trying to step it up to using my computer.
- All of this stuff is in my house's recroom which is carpeted, really soundproofed walls, and is about 22ft x 45ft. I hear this makes a difference in recording technique, so I edited this in. If it would be better, I have an unused room in my house which is around 14x16, and all unobstructed walls. My gear can be easily moved there, if its a better recording enviroment.

So Heres the deal, I'm currently in the process of getting a vocal mic for myself (the drummer) and we've been playing alot more together and shows around town. For refrence, we just played a school battle of the bands performing 2 incubus covers, a primus cover, and a phish cover / jam.
For fun, I picked up 2 programs: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sony Sound Forge 7.0. Only problem now is, I have no idea how to use either of them. Sure I have read the manuals, but neither of which tell me how to actually run sound into my computer. I have a Year-or-2-old Soundblaster Audigy Platinum sound card on my computer currently.
Say if I wanted to start multitracking my entire band onto my computer (1 Drum, 1 Guitar, 1 Bass, 2 Vocals) and to fully implement ourselves and sound into either of these programs, what will I need to do so?
I'm wondering if I should just run an audio cable from my mixer to my sound card, or if I need a more fancy mixer (digital) where I can run a USB or some better, quality connection directly to my machine.
I wondered today, how do the pros do it? I couldent get an answer out of my parents, or friends, but they have to be doing something other than just running a mm thick cable from those huge mixers to a computer, that seems as if it would compress wayyyy too much quality to work, thats just me though, I could be wrong...Hey! I'm in the newbie section, arn't I?! :)

If you really didn't feel like reading all of that crap, and just tried to get down to brass tacks, heres what I wanna know:
With the setup I have listed above, what would I need to do to setup my computer and all of my music equipment to get the best sound out of these recording programs I have?
If I need anything more to get a good sound, please enlighten me, I have money to spend if I have to. I read elsewhere that all I need for a good drum mic setup is 2 good overhead condensers, a snare mic, and a bass drum mic. If someone can confirm this being cool, please do, that sounds like the cheapest way to go.
If you you know anything about audition, I would probably rather be working with this one, seems more user-friendly and fun...I could be wrong, I always liked Cool Edit Pro 2.0...

Thanks to all of the higher generations passing their knowledage down to the up and coming, I really appreicate it, in advance!
Thanks again,
Jamey

(PortnoyIsTheBest) Had to throw that in :)

Last edited:
If it makes any difference... Heres my Comp Rig (built it myself)
Pentium 4 2.4gig processor
1gig DDR ram
ATI 5950pro 256mb video card
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum sound card
40gig harddrive (OS only)
160gig harddrive (Store all)
Sony DRU-700A Dual Layer DVD Burner
TDK 52x CD Burner

From what it seems, just messing with these 2 recording programs, my computer can handle running both simotaneously fine. I don't think computer specs should be a problem in my case. I could use a bigger processor though :P

Sounds like a decent setup to start. You will probably need some type of mixer to get the best sound out of your system. I am currently using a cheap 4 track as a mixer, as I don't know what I want to get for a real one, and it works ok. I have a cheap $30 Soundblaster usb interface at the moment to connect my 4 track to the pc, and use Audition1.5. Someone else can help you with choosing a mixer, and whether you should get some good preamps for the mics and such. Audition is pretty easy to use, and there are some good plugins for it, so you are set there for now. Good mics are a must. I use an Sm58 and it's decent, but will eventually get a better vocal mic for recording.
Good luck.
Ed

I have that mixer I stated above, the Crate PX900DLX 12 channel Powered Mixer. I know I can get my hands on a sound card that I can run my RCA cables into (looking at a mid ranged E-MU system). I have that 4 track analong recorder that I'm posative doesnt have USB or any outs to my computer.
http://www.crateproaudio.com/products/box_mixers/PX900DLX.html
^Thats the mixer I own.
What do mic preamps do in comparison to just plugging them directly into the PA mixer? I'm honestly clueless.
Also, will getting a E-MU setup for my computer help? I think what it does is just have the RCA inputs on cords comming out of the card... Correct me if I'm wrong. Will the E-MU get me better sound quality when recording compared to my audigy?
Here are the 2 cards I'm looking at. If you know of anything better in the $50-$200 range, post them please!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240390/
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/242512/
I still have little knowledage of what these cards exactly do, info on those would be great as well!

Thanks in advance,
Jamey

Back