Br00tal Bass Drops

Scorge

Hey folks,
Got a question to ask ya..

HOW DO YOU MAKE BASS DROPS LIKE THESE!?!?!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13786721/BoO Bass Drops.wav

Doesn't sound like those mega-lame bass drops you hear in every single metalcore song now a days, it's like a quick percussive impact of bass. I can't tell if it's the combined effort of all instruments hitting exactly at the same point, followed by a quick sub-sine-wave, or some sort of other trickery... I feel like there's some other trickery going on - as well as the bass drops seeming to differ in timbre from song to song... Anyone care to share their thoughts on how Suecof might be achieving these awesome drops?

EDIT:
Dropbox doesn't seem to be playing back the audio file, right click on the background and hit Save As to download it.

Last edited:
Firstly, what's a bass drop?

Those just sound like heavy breakdowns.

To me it's the space that creates the impact.

Cheers :)

If it's a sub-bass tone you're talking about, it's most likely an 808 or a similar sample. Time and pitch shift are your friend.

Cheers :)

Oh wow, lots of people responded, thanks guys!

Well okay..

A bass drop - it's essentially like CLos said, it's where (generally) the first beat of a bar has a bass/sub bass impact, rumble, drop, whatever you want to call it, for effect, for emphasis. It's super common in electronic and metal genres. The sample I posted has multiple of these "bass drops"... but the thing is, it's not generic. Ya admittedly I didn't notice it myself, but after listening through the album a bunch of times I started to pick up on them, ESPECIALLY when you listen through a good car stereo or a system with awesome low-end response. I can't not notice it now, Suecof (the engineer) did a really awesome job making them very subtle, yet very effective.

Definitely not a sine wave, I'll take a listen to some 808 samples.

Cheers!

Thanks Loren! I'm thinking it might be a down-tuned kick of some sort, it doesn't quite sound like an 808... kind of like the kick drum just got a boost of bass, like a thud, briefly overpowering the rest of the mix... anyway, I'll keep thinking about it in the mean time :D

Here is a couple more, again made from a sine wav generator.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/453334/Another boom.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/453334/Another boomer.wav

It's pretty easy to make them how you like though here is how:

1. Create an audio track
2. Insert a test generator on that track
3. Set for sine wave and aim for 50-60hz
4. Mix down that sine wav so you have a wavform to look at.
5. Make sure the wave starts at zero crossing, I put a very short (like 2ms) fade on the file start, but don't start it with the wave half way up or down.
6. To make the 2 booms above, fade the entire wave from start to finish. I like an S shape fade instead of a static fade.
7. To make the boom that goes down in pitch, use a pitch envelope. This is most likely NOT a real time effect in your DAW.
8 Finish it off with a transient designer if you have one, I like to ad a bit of attack.

I think they come out a bit better than trying to modify an 808 (808's are pretty much the same thing anyhow).

Back