BR-8 Zip Disc Love

cjmusicman

Is it just me or does anyone else love the fact that a zip disc only holds about 4+ minutes of 8 track recorded materal ( just enough space for one song).

One disc - one master of each song.

If you had a hard disc recorder, you'd have to erase something once you filled all the space 30 min - 2 hours or whatever.

The only thing I don't like is only have 8 tracks. I hate to bounce. It's so permanant.

Oh, I also hate the fact that zip discs cost $10 each.

What are your thoughts folks???

cj

I hear you mate. I have started converting all of my "good tracks" onto a CDR. So I have 5-8 disks for one song - then I can get rid of the stuff on the zip and save myself ten bucks. Just keep good notes on the numbers, measxures and marks and it works just fine.

Wow.....only 4 minutes !

Gosh, ...you must be recording a ton of different stuff into 1 song ??

I do a lot of recording on my BR-8 and usually end up on an Average of around 19 minutes left after the first song is done, and that is using all 8 tracks, markers, names, v-tracks, etc.....

Now, I do usually always clean up and erase used tracks that are no longer needed, eliminate editing adjustments through "Song Optimize"...this free's up a lot of time...

I do not bounce tracks because of the lack of editing control for each individual instrument but I do a lot of recording, then copy and pasting to appropriate tracks.....utilizing the V-tracks is great for trying different solo's or different sounds but again, once I'm done or finalized a "tune" that I feel is "complete", I go and clean up all the used bits and pieces of recorded tracks I no longer need....

I usually have plenty of space left over on the 100 MG discs.

I probably take a lot more steps, but in the long run, I thinkI'm getting the most out of the 100MG discs...

Good Luck .

:)

Telegib.

If you use all 8 tracks for recording and use MT2 mode you get around 5 min of recording time. Since I only use the BR-8 to compose song demos with, sometimes I use LV1 mode. I like the fact that you can leave a song on a ZIP disk and come back later to make any changes. I brought a 10pk of ZIPs, awhile back, at TigerDirect.com for $79.

72fender,

Thanks for all the great help. I asked about going out from my Mackie mixer in another thread.

One of your replies in another thread led me to harmonycentral where I got hooked up with a Mackie forum.

I got all the help I needed.

Thanks a million. You're the best. I don't care what any of the "self proclaimed" experts say.

Keep up the great work/help

Thanks again,
cj

Back