BR-8 de-esser and compressor ...

BHead

One thing I noticed using the BR-8 to mix ...

When I use the de-esser and compressor, the vocal becomes a little "vibrating" ... hmmm ... like ... the sound is originally smooth and continuous. But after applying the de-esser and compressor the sound becomes more "discrete" and not as smooth. Like being cut into little pieces ...

It is especially obvious on breathing sound ... WHY???

Anyone? (72fender?) Understand my question? :confused:

What kind of mic are you using? Have you tried to edit the patch to match your mic's reponse and/or EQ? I use the Roland DR-10 mic, it's reponse curve is matched to the BR-8's COSM mic patches. Both DR-10 and DR-20 were designed to work with all the Roland recorders that have COSM mic effects.

The real problem is that the BR 8 effects like compression, noise gate, and d-esser are low quality and, in the case of de esser and noise gate, when your voice begins to hover around the set threshold point, instead of the de esser smoothly softening the esses or the gate releasing smootly it's jagged, grainy, and very, very, obvious to the listener. Instead of using the de esser, try using the parametric EQ in the patch, set the mid-high freq to approx. 7kHz, set the Q to 16 and cut the level. That should help a little and sound less jagged. For compression and noise gate try buying a dbx 166 or similar outboard compressor with built-in gate and patch it in between the mic and the BR 8. I use the BR8 and the dbx 166 for vocals and it sounds great, you should try it!

fiberoot,

Welcome to the board! We can really help each other out here! :) And thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely try it.

I did follow your suggestion and went to Mars for a Roland mic. However somehow they didn't carry it and the salesman tried so hard to sell me the Shure SM58. HAHA! That is what I am using (to answer your question which mic I used.) So ... you use the Roland mic and there isn't such a problem? Weird! I guess SM58 is fairly good ...... hmmm ... :confused:

I agree that the BR-8 vocal effects are good, but not great. I particularly noticed a lot of noise on the compression effects. As a result, I went out and bought an RNC compressor.

I would follow BobO advice, because I've heard his recordings and they sound great :D. BobO - put up the link to your songs.

I really just do songs demos for my band and publisher to send to out. The DR-10 mic seems to have less 'edge' to it because of the mic's EQ, which Roland tweaked.

Back