Br 1600 or MRS 1608

Justplay

Okay, research is complete and my purchase decision is down to these products...Boss BR1600CD or the Zoom MRS-1608.

Money will not be a deciding factor between these two units. Also, I have carefully defined my needs & wants and have already evaluated several competitive products. My choice is really down to these two units.

I'm looking for current or past owners/users of this gear to comment on quality, reliability, support,etc.

Thank you in adavance for taking time to comment. I hope to buy something soon.

Just bought an MRS1608

Well, considering that I knew NOTHING yesterday about recording, by today I have recorded a complete song, managed to pan the various tracks, do v-takes, create the master and save to CDROM I can say that it is an easy unit to operate. What holds me back is complete lack of knowledge of recording, but that will come in time I hope!

The quality of the sound is good, but the mix is better on the sample projects that come with the unit, so I have still much to learn.

I can't compare it with anything else but I'm pleased with it.

just bought one as well

I just bought the 1608 as well, and being new to digital recording i can say the we have already recorded a bunch of stuff that sounds great and are getting ready to mix but we found it really easy use so far. I cant give any opinions on the boss unit though except i checked them both out and something made me go with the zoom.

The other guitar player in my band looked at both of these units and decided to go with the Boss. I was with him when he bought it and we both thought that the Boss had better drum sounds. That being said, we both agreed that the Zoom had *slightly* better effects, which surprised us both. I can't comment on the ease of use of the Zoom, but I know the Boss is easy as hell. I was so impressed I bought his BR-900.

MRS1608 story continues

Have you made your mind up yet?

I found a good article on the MRS1608 and it has a comparison with the BR half way through:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/zoommrs1608.htm

I also saw the MRS with CD for only £455 inc. postage! A good price.

I am having difficulty panning from L to R during a track recording on the MRS, though it is easy if the pan position is static.

Good luck!

Thanks MRS1608.

I have not finalized my selection yet. I have been away for several days and now plan to work through my decision.

Thanks for the tip on the article.

I have had both the MRS1608 and Boss BR900 and BR1200. I will say that I am not impressed with the Boss units. Yes the drums sound fuller but I didn't care for the mixed sound. The Zoom MRS1608 is very limited. It has some good features and is easy for the beginner. But it doesn't have real good compressors and the Master effects are a little cheesy. Each person has his/her own preference in equipment, but in my opinion neither one of these units are worth the money you spend. I ended up purchasing a Korg D1200MK11 and it smokes both units in my opinion. It has alot better sound quality and the effects and mastering tools are very nice.

I have the Boss 1600 and are very pleased so far. I have never used the Zoom product! Previous Zoom products I have owned are bang for your buck and that is as far as it goes in my opinion!

The Boss has 16 tracks x 16 virtual.
Amp modelling.
Speaker and monitor emulators.
Guitar effects and amp modelling that is just too comprehensive to list.
Bass guitar effects.
Editing is precise and very detailed and easy to use.
Equalizer (Peak/Shelving), Chorus/Delay, Compression, Reverb (Hall, Plate etc)
Drum patterns (over 300) user and preset.
Vocal tools for pitch correction etc.
Mastering Tool for that Home recordist version of Mastering!
Enhancers, Suppressors, Bass cut filtering.
USB port for PC connection.
CD burner on board.

The list goes on.

The only negative rep I have towards the Boss 1600CDR is the time it takes to download your songs when changing from song to song!

Overall I am relatively happy with the Boss and have produced some nice sounding tunes on the Boss!

Back