BR-1600 for new users...

elove

I am interested in purchasing a multi-track recorder asap. I have been researching and have heard pretty good things about the Boss BR-1600. I just wanted to know, do you all think that it is "too complicated" of a machine for a beginner? Right now I dont think I will need 16 tracks but I want to get something that I can grow into as well. So let me know what you think? Also, is there another recorder out there that you would recommend over the BR-1600 for a beginner? thanks..

I think the BR is AWESOME. While it is true the learning curve for a newbie (like I was) is a little overwhelming at first, if you stick to it, it is really not that tough. I had NEVER recorded anything myself when I got my BR, however, I was familiar with the 'things' that are involved in recording music from watching someone else who produced a CD for me (I'm a vocalist). I am also PC savvy, so when I ventured into MIDI, that wasn't too bad. Having that background DID help me I believe. The BR is a great machine. I was in the same boat you are...not really needing 16 tracks. I sing, and play a little guitar. However, I wanted something that I could grow into, and the BR is perfect. I far surpassed anything that I thought I'd be doing on this machine, and I've had it a little over a year. I have seen other machines in the same 'category' (namely the Yamaha 16 tracker) and I think the BR is a better choice even though it is a little more expensive. I spent many LATE nights banging my head against the wall for seemingly simple things, but face it, this recording stuff CAN get complicated depending on how far you want to take it. Persistence (for me) paid off huge. Read and re-read and then RE-READ the book (repeat as necessary). Also, this forum and VSPlanet are very helpful. I am thrilled with the BR and think it is 'simple' enough for those who don't know much about this stuff, but 'fully featured' enough to allow that same person to grow into it and enjoy it for many years. It truly is a great machine. Check out some of my other posts here.....some of them have examples of things I recorded on the BR. I did all of em in my apartment, just me, laying down tracks of gtr, vocal, drums, bass, some midi instruments etc.

I don't really think you can go wrong with the BR, especially if you're just starting out.

Good luck
steve

It also depends if you're going to record a band or just yourself. The BR-900 has most the features of BR-1600. The BR-900 has 8 tracks, records to flash memory card, only two inputs, so you can only record two tracks simultaneously. The BR-1200 has 12 tracks, 20GB hard drive, still only two inputs, so you can only record two tracks simultaneously.

Thanks for the great info. Can u email me something that you have recorded on the 1600 to elove@powermovz.com? Also, I am into hip hop music so I will be recording mostly vocals. Not as complicated as dealing with bands and all the instruments. Thanks....

Br-900cd

I have the BR-900CD and it is my first time using a recorder. At first the learning curve was steep for me, although I have been in the music business for 30 years...however, read-read-read the manual and in no time you'll be scolling and recording with ease. Good Luck!

I recorded some of the stuff on my websites on the BR-1600 it's a good machine I had to sell mine to pay taxes,then I went to a Roland VS-1880 for awhile and now I have a new Tascam 2488 neo which i LOVE! It's easy to use and only $799!!

what about the Boss BR-1180CD? someone just offered me one at $600. what do you think of it and the price?

2 inputs suck if you friends come over...I have an 1180. If you record by yourself it's all good.

Back