boxed vs. download

gamba

can anyone give me there opinions on boxed vst's and plug ins or downloaded ? there are some products i wish to get but wondering if i go with download what will happen if software has to be reinstalled ?

Most downloads also come with an account. Over christmas my PC crashed terminally, so I upgraded it while away, and ended up with a totally clean, but empty machine. I logged into Steinberg's site, and downloaded 8G of Cubase 8, I've got a couple of Garritan samplers - GPO and the jazz band and both of these downloaded ok, as did my pianoteq piano sampler. The other things I use I had to wait until I got home to grab the discs and the serials, and one I could not find - and still can't! Adobe CC subscription was a doddle, and everything downloaded perfectly. My VSTi collection was on one drive luckily, and the only bad news was that the download speed was not the best where I was, but quicker than the post!

From now on, I shall always do the downloads.

Another issue with boxed v. download is that the boxed version might be out of date and, when registering the software, you'll be advised to download the latest, updated version anyway. When I was trying to install GuitarCenter's UVI Synths Legacy (a real bargain, even at its regular $50 price), the disk version would hang up and simply would not install properly. Downloaded the updated version from the UVI website and no problems! Same thing happened with virtually every item in the Xchange VI Bundle (another great bargain, especially on sale). Unless it's a massive piece of software that spans a few DVDs or comes on a larger flash drive or a USB hard drive, I've come to prefer the download versions.

Paj
8^)

I'm looking at amplitude 4, upgrade to bfd 3, and waves ssl 4000. most likely i would go with sweet water for these if that helps at all.

Amplitube and Waves both require online accounts for activation, so there's no benefit to having a boxed version.

I'll second, or third, what everyone else has said. If it's not a multi-disc product then get the download version over the boxed. To add to Paj's story, I bought 2 or 3 eastwest products (boxed) and I ended up having to download them anyway because they were out of date. One of those was a brand new offering at the time, too.

If you have decent internet speed, you won't miss out on any features or lose your license (if a PC crashes) if you choose the download option. Like Pinky said, you'll probably have to set up an online account with whoever makes that piece of software; all Sweetwater does is send you a serial number that you register on the mfg's website. FWIW, all 3 of the products you are looking at will have to be registered with their respective makers. Waves, IK and FXpansion all have their own system that you'll plug in the serial number to if you get the DL from sweetwater. Easy peasy.

Back