bouncing

grizlo

i have a Korg D1600, when i bounce down to two tracks those tracks must be empty, right? as well as panned left and right?

You should'nt need to pan if you bounce in stereo.
Also, it does not require tracks 1 & 2 to be empty.
Of course Im thinking PC, not hardware, Im not real familiar with this unit.

I am not familiar with your Korg unit either, but......

Yes, you will need room for the bounced tracks (they need somewhere to go).

Unless..... you are mixing your entire song to 2 track OUT to another device. In that case, you don't need to open tracks.

Once again, I am not familiar with your Korg piece, so don't quote me on this. :cool:

Peace...

spin

Yo Griz:

With the Korg unit you mentioned, why do you need to bounce tracks?

If you bounce two tracks to one track, you can no longer tweak each track. You can tweak the bounced two tracks but, like, a bass line and chord line do not always use the "same" tweaks.

I use the Yam 2816 -- I never bounce tracks as I have plenty. Of course, you may be after some special effect or sound via bouncing. But, just remember, if you bounce you lose control of individual tracks bounced -- you can only tweak both tracks at once and that isn't what you may want to do.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool:

no - the tracks don't have to be empty for you to bounce onto them. you're technically just recording onto these tracks, however your source is the tape rather than a line in.

they shouldn't have to be panned either. that should be irrelevant.

(i can't believe i was kind of able to answer a question - hooray! it's like giving directions for the first time in a town you just moved to...)

If the track/s you are bouncing to aren't empty, the material that were on the destination tracks will be erased.

Meaning.... If you want to bounce tracks 1, 2 , 3, and 4 down to track 5, track 5 needs to be empty.

If track 5 is not empty when you bounce tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4. The information that you have on 5 will be erased.

Once again, I am not familiar with the KORG unit. :cool:

spin

spinsterwun is right. it needs to be "empty" in the sense that you will record over anything that is on there if you are dumping onto it. but, that should be obvious. you are recording onto the track - regardless of source - and are therefore writing over anything already existing. however, you don't have to start with a "clean slate" - if that's what you meant, grizlo - in order to record onto it.

Back