Bouncing Tracks from VS1680 via MIDI???

AumStudioBrian

Hello,

I am completely new to MIDI. I don't even really understand MIDI at all. BUT, that's not my question. I have a client who wants to load his tracks from a Roland VS1680 Track Recorder via MIDI. I am running Pro Tools LE (PC)through a Digi002 interface. I have no clue on how to go about this process. Please help me with a step by step instruction or refer me to where I can find out how to bounce these tracks via MIDI. Thanks!

Midi is a control protocol/language which carries no audio information at all so it won't do you any good with your current problem.

What you probably want is instructions on transferring digital audio tracks from one format to another, in this case from the Roland DAW to your PC.

Ask your client for the manual for his DAW. It should have format information and maybe even model diagrams of FAQ transfer setups.

Ditto...MIDI will not help in this situation. Here's what ya gotta do, cause it's what I had to do when upgrading to Nuendo.

Hopefully he's got a SCSI Cd burner for his 1680 cause you're gonna need it. You'll have to burn each track individually as a stereo left or right.

Basically you'll go in and pan the tracks you want to transfer either full left or full right. Let's say you've got your lead vocals on track 1 v-track 1, and a backup vocal on track 2 v-track 2. You would pan track one hard left and track 2 hard right. Make sure you take all EQ, Comp, and any effects off before burning to CD. You want the absolute naked track to work with in PT. You would then burn these tracks a "song" on the CD. When done, go in and do the same thing with the next 2 tracks until you've burned all the tracks to CD.

Make sure you keep good records of what you've burned and what Track Number on the CD is what,i.e. CD track one is Lead vocals L, BkUP vocals R
CD Track 2= Acoustic GT L, Acoustic GT R, CD track 3= Piano L, Bass R, etc.

Once you get everything burned to CD, and it does take a while, you'll import the mono tracks into PT as mono tracks and any stereo tracks, like the two acoustic tracks above, as stereo tracks. You'll have to read the manual about the different methods. With Nuendo I have to do two different things when I'm importing tracks I want to leave mono or stereo when importing from a CD.

It's not as hard as it sounds, but it takes a while and unfortunately you're gonna have the 20 bit recordings on the 1680 dithered down to 16 bit for the CD, and that's what you'll be importing so you won't be taking the full advantage of the higher bit resolution of PT.

As far as I know, without buying additional hardware, this is the only way to transfer tracks.

A good forum to post this question in would be www.vsplanet.com. It's all about the VS-series.

Good luck and have patience.

Back