Bouncing on BR8

gtrist

Steven,
I tried to bounce a track and failed, please help. I have a dry recording of my leads on track 6. Can you explain better than the manuel how to get track 6 Virtual1 to track 6 Virtual 2. When I added effects to dry track and bounced them to V2, it recorded the same dry track, what am I doing wrong? The manuel gives an example of combining mono tracks and stereo tracks. I am only trying to learn to bounce just the one for now.

Doug

PS I find it funny that you get critized from people who don't have any recordings to listen to. I think you are doing a great job with your BR8 and can't wait till I can get your quality on disc.

Thanks again

Doug,

When you are bouncing tracks on the BR-8: It wont let you bounce track 6-1 to track 6-anything. So, you have to get creative bro. Bounce 6-1 to any open track except track 6. Then you can listen to what you bounced. If you like it Copy+Insert it back to a virtual track on 6. Or just leave it where you bounced it to and record something different on 6. Your choice.

It's the Long way home. But the only way to get there.

Keep me posted.

Steven

P.S. Thanks.

Steven,
I will try that this morning. Another question concerning Copy+Insert. When I Copy+Insert from source to dest., I chose all then go and it brings up, Start 1.1 to 86.3 copy 1x, My lead part isn't as long as that though, so am I losing disc space and should I be copy+inserting it from the beginning to end of the actual lead parts?

Doug

Doug,

YES. You can Use the "Marker" to mark where the beginning of the part starts and ends. Then use those marker points when you are in Copy+Insert.

Or you can just choose "All" and go back and erase the dead spaces you dont want. I would suggest doing this on ALL tracks and ALL parts. Erase what is empty, it gives you more disk space.

Steven

Doug,

Yes, Optimizing is great tool to use. And its the only tool to get the time back. But you need to Erase dead space that you dont want. Optimizing wont "Erase" information on a track. It will only optimize what isnt being used. And if you dont erase the dead spots the machine will think those spots are needed and wont erase them.

Make Sense?

Steven

Steven,
That makes sense. It sounds like the best way to do it is to copy+insert the exact parts. What is confusing to me is that the lead parts were recorded by punching in/out in 2 different spots and are not as long as the "all"- beginning to end states. In other words I punched in with a fill on track 6 @ measure 12.04 -> 18.04 then at 39.04 -> 52.04, doesn't that equal just 19 measures? So why does "all" state 1.1 to 86.3 when I bounce to another track? I hope this doesn't sound to confusing,

Doug

Steve,
If you "punch in" on a given track to do the lead or something, will that accomplish the same thing?
My thinking is if you didn't record in the spots where there were no licks, the space isn't used. Therfore optimizing would recover any and all available disk space.
Am I right?
Joel

Doug,

When you choose "All" it automatically will do the entire track. I wouldnt suggest choosing "all" unless you want the entire track selected.

Steven

Steven,

I understand, and I will be trying this out in a few hours. I will go back and erase the dead spots and start using copy+insert to move only what I need. I will let you know how it tunrs out. Have a great day Bro,

Doug

Steven,
Well I got the bouncing down. It wasn't to difficult. It would be sweeter if you could Bounce from a dry track to a virtual track after adding effects on the same track. That way you could add diiferent effects to the dry track and bounce to the virtuals without having to use a different open track and then bouncing back to the track with the dry recording, which is what I did after you told me how. The bottom line is you can't bounce from, lets say, Track 1 to Track 1 Virtual 2, in other words no bouncing on same track, a slight inconvenience. However, with that being said I also figured out the difference between Copy/insert and Copy. example: I have a lead fill after each measure of rhythm guitar on the verse parts of a song I'm composing. I have them on Track 5. I recorded the part once and tried to copy and insert in the correct places and it would not let me do that on the same track. I then tried just the copy and it let me copy the part to the same track after I selected the source and destination and where to put it. Out of writing room. To be continued on next post.

Also, I can't believe I waited as long as I did by not using the marker feature. I was actually writing down this info. on paper, such a waste of time. With just a push of the button you can jump to the parts of the song that you have marked, and quickly work on whatever you need to. Another question, having used the copy features, I have been going by the measures and it seems to stay on time, however I was checking out the time and frame when I stop at what I think is where I want to insert and the frame would be a different number everytime. Do you ever go by the frame numbers. It just seems to precise to go by. I have tried it by using the Display in the copy feature and actually set the frame where I think it should be and it worked, but it is easier and quicker using the measures. Let me know Bro,

Doug

Doug,

I'm not sure what the question is. (sorry) ... But I agree, the Marker feature is awesome. Usually what I try to do is set a marker at every "change" in the song.

Also, the "Auto Punch In Out" feature is great too. Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

When using the markers that I set, I have never had any problems with timing when copy+Inserting".

Steven

Steven,
Yeah, I kind of lost myself on that Question to. Let me try again. When you use Copy or Copy/Insert, you input the track source then the track destination, then Locate. The next screen brings up a screen that has Disp.,which I think stands for display. When you enter on that it brings up a screen that states, Copy by meas. enter on it again and it brings up, Copy by time, enter again and it brings up, copy by marker, I wrongly stated that it brought up, by frame, which it does not. I have used the copy by time before and it is a little more accurate. So my question to you is, and I think you already answered it by saying you use the markers and meas. way, but have you ever used the copy by time? As for the auto/punch, no I haven't used that yet, but I bet you will tell me to do so. Can you give me a brief comment on its function, then I will check out the manuel also.

Doug

Back