bouncing down dithering questions

dupedd

I'm getting my bands album(audio files) together and am wondering how to do it properly. Do I dither, bouncing down from 24 bit to 16 in say an AIFF file and then import that bounced file back into my recording program and THEN bounce that down to mp3 format for my CD, thereby getting a properly dithered track?

Also, I'm wanting to put my album on this site, Bandcamphttp://bandcamp.com/, that allows you to upload AIFF or WAV files in up to 24 bit/192kHz and they convert your songs for you for would be patrons to buy your songs in any format they choose(FLAC, mp3, AAC, etc.). Now I would like to upload 24bit/44.1khz AIFF versions of our songs but I'm concerned about the dithering(OR lack of) that the site would be doing on their end for the conversions to compressed file types. Could I head this problem off my dithering my 24bit bounces before uploading them to their site or is dithering completely pointless unless I'm compressing from 24bit to 16bit? (BTW, I don't want to rely on them to dither since we're already picky about the different sounds from the three different dithering options on Logic Express 7)

Why make a CD from MP3 files?
Make it with 44.1/16 WAV files...that's what commercial CDs are made with.

Also...just upload those same WAV files...and you don't need to worry about them doing any dithering.

Why make a CD from MP3 files?
Make it with 44.1/16 WAV files...that's what commercial CDs are made with.

Also...just upload those same WAV files...and you don't need to worry about them doing any dithering.

Good point. I could just make them 44.1/16bit WAV files for the cd. It won't make a difference between AIFF or WAV, right? They are already bounced down in AIFF..?

On the other point... I wanted to upload 44.1/24bit to the website because you can download lossless format songs from this site. I'm worried about the dithering they will do for the compressed files though. I guess the only way around it is to dither myself, keep it 16bit..

Back