Bouncing 2 computer...

cracklin'

hi. I have been recording on an analog 8 track (tascam 388) and need to bounce my tracks to a stereo mix into my computer---so that I can eventually put the songs into itunes.
Im sending the audio into my computer through a MOTU828 and then into garageband. My problem is that the recording has digital distortion all over it. Is there a good, cheap (better if its free), program I can use to make cleaner and more accurate mixdowns?
any info/advice would be awesome...

Hmm... it sounds more like you're recordong too hot rather than the software itself - make sure you're not clipping through the MOTU - even if your meters in Garageband are fine, you could be distorting the signal before it even gets there.

Biscuits has the right idea... something in the chain (i.e. something on the computer) is turned up too high. Digital clipping vs. analog clipping SUCKS. Fingernails on a chalkboard, I tell ya.

Just go through and check your levels, namely on the computer itself. If you're running garageband, i assume you're a mac guy?

does the distortion only appear when you bounce from garageband to itunes? if so this is just the master volume in garage band is too high. try bringing all your levels down a notch and see what happens

Im using a mac. and I tried to run the audio into the computer as low as I could. I will definately try turning the master volume on garageband down to see if that helps. but Im worried the songs will then be too low in volume when they go into itunes. I want them to be loud enough so you dont have to turn the volume up all the way just to hear it.
thanks for all the advice though...
this board rocks!

Another possible point where the overload may be occuring is in the mixdown to stereo. If you are recording your individual tracks too hot and not attenuating them before mixing them all together into stereo, your stereo mixdown could be heavily overloaded or clipped, regardless of the input volume level at the computer side.

G.

Back