Bounce to separate L/R tracks

guttadaj

This one really has me confused. I have a stereo track that I want to split into separate L/R tracks - no problem... I did Edit -> Bounce to Track(s) and chose "Mix to Separate Left and Right Tracks". The problem is that my stereo track was not clipping (peaked out at somewhere around -1.5), but now each of my separated tracks appears to be clipping in several places. Anyone know what the deal is there? Why would my Bounce mess with the levels of the individual stereo channels?

Thanks, :)
-Jeff

Perhaps you have an effect (eq, compression) on the Master Bus, or maybe have the Master Bus set at something higher than unity??

How are you detemining the clipping? If you are perhaps using the meters on the Master Bus, are you sure you have muted or archived the original stereo track.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Good thoughts, all. But I have only done 1 bounce, and I have archived the original stereo track. I did have a compressor on the Master bus, which is not clipping. It's the individual tracks, which are effect-free, that are clipping. I'm determining that they're clipping because the meters are peaking at above 0. Truth be told, I can't really hear any clipping - maybe it's happening too fast... the peaks are transients from kick drum hits.

I just ran another clean test. Took the original stereo track with no effects anywhere and played through it - it peaked at -2.0. I bounced to L/R tracks, archived the first track, and played it again. One track peaked at 1.0 and the other at 0.9. Doing some serious head-scratching here... any ideas welcome. :)

Thanks,
-Jeff

What is the volume setting on the Master Bus when you perform the bounce?

The only other thing I can think of, which is a bit off the wall, is that perhaps there is some comb filtering occuring on the stereo track that is eliminated when you split them to individual tracks (although it would still occur when you sum the two tracks). What peak levels do you get on the Master when you run the split tracks together?

Thanks for the ideas, dachay.

In my test, I just opened up the stereo track in a new project, so everything's set at 0. I was also thinking that it could be some sort of comb filtering or that maybe I didn't understand how the peak meter worked and that it was doing stereo summing to figure out the peak value. But, no... My Master Bus peaks right along with each individual track. So, when my L track peaks up to 0.4, the Master does. Then my R track peaks up to 0.6, and the Master follows suit. At the end, my Master shows a held peak of 1.0, same as the greater of the individual track peaks.

Don't know if this sheds any light on matters, but I found it interesting... I just tried a different Bounce to Track(s) where I chose "Mix Stereo Content to Mono", and it peaks right at 0 with no clipping. Also interesting is that when I do a Bounce to Track(s), it says "Mixing Down Audio" and takes some time to process it. If I have a stereo track, wouldn't splitting the L/R channels to separate L/R tracks be a instant thing? Well, in the immortal words of Vinny Barbarino of Welcome Back, Kotter fame, "I'm so confused..." :cool:

Back