Bought some drums...

mandocaster

non compos mentis
...so they had theis 70s vintage slingerland set at the local GC. 23" kick, 16x16 floor tom, 13 and 12 inch rack toms - no snare.
They are gloss white, with a pearl ring around the kick. They were $250. Anyone use these or have fond memories?

This will eventually (when I get the snare, cymbals, etc. ) be my first kit. I probably should have bought some cheap chinese set, but the cheaper sets seem so cheasy.

no i say this is a good buy...

my school has a set of these probably around the same era...

(not the primary set used of course, they were sitting in a closet)

and they sound great no?
fat bass, warm sound, and vintage!

cheap chinese sets... hahahaha

i love vintage drums. i say good buy.

i had a cheep chinese set. i sold that when i bought my vintage vistalites.

I say goodbye...I mean...good buy. :)

But good luck replacing that bass drum head.

Yeah, 23" kick? Anyway, a friend of mine has vintage Slingerlands, I've never played them but they sound amazing on his jazz band's CD.

mandocaster said:
upon further measurement, it looks like a 22" kick
Cool...then you got yourslef a good kit there, buddy. Congrats.

A couple of years ago I bought a 14" x 6", 10 lug brass snare from MusicYo.com for $99. I'm not seeing one on that site right now but it'd fit with your kit nicely.

I got a similar set of old Slingerland except mine are black and also have a 14" floor tom. I'd say $250 was a good deal, I gave a little less for mine but they needed all new heads. I added a 70s Ludwig (chrome 10 lug) snare and medium Zildjans for that "vintage sound." A deeper wood snare will give you more of the classic rock sound (think early Allman Bros.) If you have the ball and socket type of hardware, don't over tighten them, the nylon/plastic ball gets brittle with age and can crack.

Thanks for the advice. The toms are of the concert variety, so I they are loud. I might get some hydrolic heads to tame them a bit.

Not to rain on the parade, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the drums... but... not all Slingerlands are made the same. Depends on what the shells are made of. Some of the 70's student line Slingerlands are pretty much the same as the student line sets of today as far as shell construction. If the guys at GC were selling them for $250 it's probably not because they didn't know what they're worth. Get a close look at the wood. If by chance you got a maple set you didn't super great.

Back