Bought a new console!

Downside Studio

Hi there, i've been a while away from this site...busy busy busy..

and today we bought our new studio console whoepie!

octagon_1.jpg

96 motorized faders, totall recall. build in tft etc etc

4 years ago we were a homerecording studio, now we can buy a home if we sell that console haha

Very nice -- congratulations!

I've also purchased a new console... although it wouldn't buy me a house - it would buy a car!

Attachments

• dmxr100_z.jpg
    dmxr100_z.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 589
Blue Bear Sound said:
Very nice -- congratulations!

I've also purchased a new console... although it wouldn't buy me a house - it would buy a car!

Bruce ! You bought it ? Is it installed ? What time should I be over tomorrow night ?

And Downside - Awesome console !

Haven't received it yet - delivery is expected by the end of the month.... it's quite exciting!

Dave - I'll let you know when it's up and running if you want to check it out!

Michael - will do!! :)

Downside, what is that beauty?

Bruce, I thought you were diehard analog mixing. Did you turn around? :D
Wayne

mixsit said:
Bruce, I thought you were diehard analog mixing. Did you turn around?
Well yes and no -- IMO mixing in-the-box is not quite the same as mixing with an external digital mixer. The summing algorithms between, say Cubase SX (what I use), and the console are going to be inherently different.

But I needed a way to switch between projects quickly (ie, presets/auto-config) - and also the Sony is an outstanding console - high-quality pres, and excellent sound, so I'm quite certain I'll find it to be a significant upgrade.

I did look into a large format analog console (a Hill 800), but backed-out -- I couldn't justify the on-going maintenance for an older analog board in favour of the flexibility and options this new Sony will provide.

I've also talked to a number of people using this board and it gets accolades all around for sound quality and interface. Hell, Skywalker Sound uses 'em!

This is going to be the best Christmas ever!!! :D

Downside.... when I was still deciding between going analog or digital, I was looking into those D&R boards too... they certainly seem to have a good rep! Another analog option was an Audient...

Upgrades are fun, no? (except when the bill comes in!) ;)

Blue Bear Sound said:
Well yes and no -- IMO mixing in-the-box is not quite the same as mixing with an external digital mixer. The summing algorithms between, say Cubase SX (what I use), and the console are going to be inherently different.

But I needed a way to switch between projects quickly (ie, presets/auto-config) - and also the Sony is an outstanding console - high-quality pres, and excellent sound, so I'm quite certain I'll find it to be a significant upgrade.

I did look into a large format analog console (a Hill 800), but backed-out -- I couldn't justify the on-going maintenance for an older analog board in favour of the flexibility and options this new Sony will provide.

I've also talked to a number of people using this board and it gets accolades all around for sound quality and interface. Hell, Skywalker Sound uses 'em!

This is going to be the best Christmas ever!!! :D
Very cool. ;) Have you considered whether you'll still want to go back out' for analog processing?
Wayne

Having had the pleasure of using the R100 twice now, I have to tell you Bruce you are not going to be disappointed.

if I were in the market for a medium-format digital console, it would be my first choice.

mixsit said:
Very cool. ;) Have you considered whether you'll still want to go back out' for analog processing?
Wayne
Actually - yes - I was thinking about that -- may opt for one of those high-end analog summing units at some point.

frederic said:
Having had the pleasure of using the R100 twice now, I have to tell you Bruce you are not going to be disappointed.

if I were in the market for a medium-format digital console, it would be my first choice.
Coming from you that's great to hear, Frederick - I value your opinion.... thanks! :)

Blue Bear Sound said:
Coming from you that's great to hear, Frederick - I value your opinion.... thanks! :)

Well, I'm very flattered, thank you.

Just don't smoke or drink near it :)

BTW, you're not going to be recording at 96K *and* using ADAT/TDIF interfaces, right?

That's the only known "issue".that I know of...

frederic said:
Just don't smoke or drink near it :)
Hell, for the first little while no one will be able to BREATHE near it!!! :eek: ;)

frederic said:
BTW, you're not going to be recording at 96K *and* using ADAT/TDIF interfaces, right?
No - no change for me as far as that goes -- 44.1 or 48Khz @ 24-bit is PLENTY high-fidelity, IMO!

I agree with you, just wanted to make sure you know about the only issue... 96K isn't standardized yet as far as "how" to do it with tdif and adat, thus the incompatibility issue at this point in time.

But, since you're not doing that particular combination, its all good.

BTW, as your friend, I offer that you have the unit shipped here. I'll fully configure it, and thoroughly test the unit for you, for say, six months. This way when it arrives at your location, its 100% functional and every port, connector, knob is fully tested.

:-D

hehe, why did like ten people offer that to me!...but I need about that amount of people to get it in the studio (400KG), but suddenly nobody is available haha

hey downside, Ill help you move yours, if you help me move mine.

Attachments

• UB-502_tv-071c1ebda5147f42307f971ceab217d1.jpg
    UB-502_tv-071c1ebda5147f42307f971ceab217d1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 452
Back