Bottom heads....

maybe because Levon Helm...unlike Robbie/Garth/Rick/ and Richard was not from Canada.....good to see a fellow fan!!!

My damn floor tom vibrates when the kick is "hit"...doesn't sound too good w/ a bottom head.....looking for feedback to see if a bottom head would stop the drum from resonating when the bass drum is hit before I shell out some dough for another head....

hmm, sounds kinda weird. I do know of that problem, but i don't think its necessary to have to remove the resonant side. Do you use dampeners? I use Moon-Gel and even though its not on the bottom drum, the ringing seems to have gone. I however have a problem with my snare strainer. It tends to ring when i use the floor tom, but don't know how to eliminate the damn annoying sound. My snare is already tight enough. I would suggest using either O-rings of some sort if you already don't.

I'm really not the one who plays...I'll play drums for a quick jam or something...basicly I play the gitar/bass primarily and work the console.......anyways...My drummer put some elect. tape over some paper towels..taped it to the head.....fixed a little....I tried messing w/ the kick mic forever....It did go away when I took the kick mic out of the kick drum...but then I lost the sound I liked when the kick mic was in the kick drum......wow...I'm confusing myself...anyways.....I didn't think about an o-ring for the tom....I know I have one on the snare......I'm sure this would be cheaper to buy then a new bottom head....Thanks for the suggestions....

As a drummer, I prefer the bottom head on, since that is where the majority of the tone, resonance and depth comes from (the top head is primarily attack).

As an engineer, I find it can often be easier to record drums with only batter head on - and when close mic'ing the majority of the recorded sound is coming from the top head anyway (eq and reverb can be used to add depth).

If there are room mic's, I prefer the bottom head to be on to add to the room ambiance and overall drum resonance, but if there are only close mic's, it is more a matter of what the song needs and what provides the best sound.

It sounds like a tuning issue to me.
If the resonant (bottom) head is making some kind of noise, or if it's the batter head for that matter, when you kick, the problem is more than likely sympathetic vibrations.
Tighten or loosen those heads til you have no kore problem.
Better yet, try googling "drum tuning bible" and learn how to tune your drums better. It really, really makes a world of difference!
Peace, and good luck!

Back