Bottom end of AKG C1000s for micing piano

astrom13

I am looking for a mic to record acoustic upright piano-not sure if I'm going to go with 1 or 2 mics (see my prior post of a couple of days ago for my setup). Have seen some good comments on this site for the AKG C1000s. I pulled down its specs. and its range is 50-20000. I'm wondering if the 50 is good enough for the bottom end of the piano. My prior Nakamichi mike (no longer working) had a bottom end of 30 within +/- 3.5 dB. The AKG frequency response chart looks like at 50 Hz the mic is + 6dB at a distance of 1 cm (.4") but its down 10 dB miced a little further back (distance unspecified in specs). On the piano the last octave is at 55 Hz and down. Anyone have experience with micing acoustic piano with a mic with a bottom end set of specs as described? Results?

Astronomical: I got a lot out of your other post and the responses to it. I have an upright in about the same room configuration as you described, and plan on doing some experiments with mics and placements this weekend.

Based on some of the replies you got, what I have available, and my own meager experience, I planned on using the AKG c1000s to mic the top end, try out an SM57 on the bottom end, and goof around with various lesser mics as well.

I also wanted to try out the AKG all by itself. While I'm at it, I'll put it at the low end and see how that goes. I'll be trying it out both direct to a Tascam 414 cassette 4-track using the battery and a high/low Z adapter, and through an ART Tube MP (little single channel fellow). I'd intended to top mic, but if I have time I'll also pull the pianoforte away from the wall and try micing it from the back, as well.

I'll let you know what I think - for what its worth.

Raj,

I have your *exact* setup (414, SM57, C1000S, Tube MP), except that I also have a 4033/SM that I planned to use on the bottom end.

I'm curious to see how you make out. Any way you can post an MP3 file for us to hear?

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 03-25-2000).]

Raj-anxious to hear how your recording comes out. I was also wonderng how the SM57 would sound on the bottom with the AKG c1000s on top(I don't own either). I now have a new wrinkle. You may recall that my Nakamichi mic, which has better low end response (30-18000 using the cardioid head and 20-16000 using the omni head) than the cardioid AKG (50-20000),was on the fritz and that's why I was looking to buy a new mic (see prior post). All of a sudden my Nak mic is working fine but it probably won't last so I thought I should buy an AKG anyway (both are electret condensers) and that would give me a chance to see how stereo micing of a piano sounds (I haven't done thata before. When my Nak finally gives out permanently then I would have the AKG and could decide on whether I felt I had to have another mic for stereo recording. So I just came from Mars to look at mic stands and ran across an Audio-Technica ATM33a cardioid condenser mic which can run on a 1.5 v battery (I don't want to have to use phantom power) with a frequency response from 30-20000 (AKG c1000s is 50-18000). It's price is $200 and the AKG is $180. Given what appears to be a little bit better frequency response I now don't know which to buy given they are only $20 apart. Do you have any opinion on which mic would pick up acoustic piano better and which would sound better. I think I will post this as a new topic to try and get broad response.. Thanks for your note and I look forward to getting your results and opinions as soon as possible.

[This message has been edited by astrom13 (edited 03-24-2000).]

So sorry, astrom, for taking so long to reply - the weekend that I was gonna try out the AKG c1000s and the SM57 on the piano I was injured in an accident, and my left hand was out of commission. Luckily, it will be OK, but my poor old thumb still ain't a-movin' around very well.

It has been so long that you've probably already come to a decision as to micing your piano, but I still intend to mess around as I dsicussed in the previous post as soon as thumbelina can dance on the keyboards again. I'll let you know how it comes out if you're still interested.

And Davo - I'd love to be able to put some of my stuff up on an audio file on the web, but I don't know how. Can you point me to any threads on this magnificent website that might help?

RAJ-just read your 4/19 post. Sorry to hear about your accident but sounds like you were lucky in terms of injuries and recovery. As far as my micing goes, I did not buy a mic yet; my Nakamichi started working again but I've got my sights on the AKG c1000s as previously mentioned. In the meanwhile I bought a mic stand and boom so I can get the mic at a proper height to record. That's as far as I got. I became a grandfather a month ago so I've been busy with family stuff-great fun! Given where I am, I'm still very interested to hear of your results so I'm hoping you're up to the playing and the record endeavor in the near future. Let me hear from you as soon as you've got news. Hope the healing continues uneventfully.

This probably isn't much help but we've had great results miking a Yamaha Grand piano using a SM81 pointing at an angle to the mid strings and a floor mic on a short stool under the piano positioned towards the back. Never tried micing an upright though...

[This message has been edited by memo (edited 04-23-2000).]

Raj,

I have no way to post files since I don't yet have a PC at home - I read this BBS at work. I think all you need is a) some way to create a sound file (probably MP3 is the best bet) and b)someplace to post it. Most of the people I've seen here post them either on MP3.com or on idrive.com, but there are a bunch you could check out.

It might be worth searching through Newbies or Computers and Soundcards to see what shows up. If nothing shows up then maybe post that question so someone more knowledgable can answer.

Back