Boston Beckoning

Good, solid performances. Good sense of instruments locking into each other.

The music has an uplifting kind of vibe to it. The lyrical content/message aside, for some reason I am picturing this as the intro to an 80's sitcom :/. I'm an odd sort, I suppose. Tony Danza just keeps popping into my head. I dunno why...

I just read the rest of the thread and had to delete everything I wrote because you took care of a lot of what I was hearing. I took a few listens to the first post, but since then I checked out post 38. Yeah, I know... reading comprehension. The first thing in your first post is a sentence about the latest mix. Ah, me...

For the most part, I was commenting on the low mid build up in the song, but you have done a lot of work to clean that up. I am still getting a sense of muddiness in the low mids, from the 200 - 400 region mainly, but it is significantly cleaner here than in the first mix.

My focus now is turning to the drum sounds. The kick seems to be coming through okay, but the snare is dull and distant. I'm not sure what you have for a snare sound to begin with, but I'd consider triggering it at this point, personally.

The vocals are floating on top of the tune just a little bit as well. It is coming across here as a result of just a tiny bit too much air (3k - 5k) and maybe a little too much overall level.

This latest mix is a definite improvement over the initial mix. Nice progress!

My focus now is turning to the drum sounds. The kick seems to be coming through okay, but the snare is dull and distant. I'm not sure what you have for a snare sound to begin with, but I'd consider triggering it at this point, personally.

Thanks for listening. I just soloed the OHs and as Rami suspected, the snare is really in them loud, so I can't do much more about the snare sound.

Thanks for listening. I just soloed the OHs and as Rami suspected, the snare is really in them loud, so I can't do much more about the snare sound.

Mike B! I knew I recognized your voice. Just saw your post over at the Muse.

Sure you can, you have a lot of options, but it depends on how far you are willing to go with it. There is a chance, depending on the recording and the nature of the centre image, that you would be able to drop the snare significantly in the OH track using a M/S plugin. If you have a direct track, you could trigger the snare from it, or again depending on the recording and your success with M/S, you also might be able to isolate the snare enough from the OHs to trigger it. As an alternative, you could also just create a snare track. It would be a little more work, but likely wouldn't take too long. You could also re-track or program in a new drum track altogether if you had to.

Depends on what you want to put into it, of course.

Hey.
I just commented on your other track, mostly about the vocals.
The vocal in this is working much better for me, although I do think they could do with a bit of a boost.

Right now the voice blends right in with everything which isn't a bad thing, but the words are getting a little lost to me.
Even just brightening the voice up a bit could help.

Tune carries well.
I wonder if separating out the rhythm parts (l to r) might be cool? It feels kinda thick over all at the minute.
Guitars more right, piano more left, or whatever?

Enjoyed it anyway. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mike B! I knew I recognized your voice. Just saw your post over at the Muse.

Sure you can, you have a lot of options, but it depends on how far you are willing to go with it. There is a chance, depending on the recording and the nature of the centre image, that you would be able to drop the snare significantly in the OH track using a M/S plugin. If you have a direct track, you could trigger the snare from it, or again depending on the recording and your success with M/S, you also might be able to isolate the snare enough from the OHs to trigger it. As an alternative, you could also just create a snare track. It would be a little more work, but likely wouldn't take too long. You could also re-track or program in a new drum track altogether if you had to.

Depends on what you want to put into it, of course.

Well, it's real drums from someone else, and I don't want to go back to the EZD track I used to start with. I know nothing about M/S, but the snare is loud (almost as loud as the cymbals) in the OHs, so I'm afraid anything I do to them will affect the cymbals too much.

Hey.
I just commented on your other track, mostly about the vocals.
The vocal in this is working much better for me, although I do think they could do with a bit of a boost.

Right now the voice blends right in with everything which isn't a bad thing, but the words are getting a little lost to me.
Even just brightening the voice up a bit could help.

Tune carries well.
I wonder if separating out the rhythm parts (l to r) might be cool? It feels kinda thick over all at the minute.
Guitars more right, piano more left, or whatever?

Enjoyed it anyway. Thanks for sharing. :)
Thanks for the idea on panning, no doubt some more EQ is going to be needed. I haven't started putting any of my songs on other systems yet to see how they translate.

Back