Boss DR-5 Basic Questions

kerberos

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Boss DR-5 drum machine. It seems to have a lot of nice features, I especially like the sequencer. I have worked with a Roland TR-707, and loved how easy it was to program, with the matrix screen. Before I plunk down $350.00, I'd like to know this:

1) Is this how the DR-5 Programs with a Matrix?

2) Does the DR-5 have Rolls/Fills?

Thanks for the help....Frank

HI KERBEROS,
I HAVE A DR5 I BOUGHT ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO,
SORRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY MATRIX,BUT NO ROLLS OR FILLS ON MINE.ANTHING ELSE YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW ?

Another quick qestion. As far as the Sequencer goes, can I Midi in with my keyboard and record to the DR-5, and then have the DR-5 play my keyboard back.

Thanks so much for the reply, with so little time to play, getting answers to the basic questions helps.

The DR5 doesn't have built in "automatic" rolls, but a roll is just a series of double-strokes - the quantizing loop recording makes it pretty easy to create them yourself.

I've used the DR5 to control an Alesis drum sound module, but I was playing the notes on the DR5. The DR5 has 4 midi recording "tracks", with one drum track and three tracks of one instrument each. I'm sure you can record notes played on an external device (and have them play back on that device), but you may be using up one of those instrument tracks. Not sure.

I don't know what you mean about matrix recording.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll look into the 770.

What I mean't by a Matrix, was well....picture a piece of graph paper. You would place a dot on the intersection of lines, moving left to right, where you wanted a drum voice to sound. For a handicapped drummer such as myself, it was great. Made it very easy to visualize a drum pattern.

Thanks again........Frank

dr-5

Hi kerberos,
I don't believe the dr5 uses matrix,programming is done in real time with quantizing,or with note value steps.
You can record your keyboard,but the max part you can have is 4/16,everything is done in measures,then you can link the parts up in a song.Also you can only record the internal samples(which are pretty good).It will play your keyboard.It's really a composing sampler,a little more involved than a pure drum machine.If you really want a drum machine you need something with rolls,that's the only thing that's lacking with the dr5,otherwise a good unit. I myself am looking into to get a better drum sound right now, looking at rolands SBD20 drum pad,8 touch sensitive pads that you can do your own drumming on,if you like I'll let you know what I find out,unless any of the other guys can give you information on it.Hope this helps.

Back