Boss Chromatic Tuner sucking my tone away?

Spin Doctor

I just bought a BOSS Chromatic Tuner. I usually just plug straight into my Marshall with my Les Paul. Plugging in thru this new pedal and it seems to be sucking something from my sound... i get less sustain now.

Is this typical? My band can't tell a difference in sound, but I sure can tell a difference in 'feel' when I bang out a chord or play a lead.

running a signal through long lengths of cable or a string of pedals usually causes some deposition to the clean tone, but ive never heard of a single pedal having that pronounced an effect

gibson2085 said:
running a signal through long lengths of cable or a string of pedals usually causes some deposition to the clean tone, but ive never heard of a single pedal having that pronounced an effect
Good point - and the quality of the cables themselves will affect it. You've added a new cable to the mix and it may not be the high quality you need.

ido1957 said:
Good point - and the quality of the cables themselves will affect it. You've added a new cable to the mix and it may not be the high quality you need.

people that claim they can hear this have super human hearing!

Last edited:
HAHA i'm not imagining it. There is a difference. The drummer can't tell the difference, the bass player can't. But when I hit those chords or play a lead I definately feel a difference.

I'll try a better guitar cable.

OK if everybody thinks i'm insane, maybe I AM doing something wrong. I've never used pedals before... perhaps i'm fucking something up. I will re-evaluate the situation.

you need an AB Y box. Or one of those loop routers with the tuner out. So you cant switch to the tuner silently and not have it going through your signal chain. All boss pedals use a buffer circuit in the bypass position. There gonna suck a little tone. But there's ways around that. True bypass is completely bypassing the effect in the bypass state. Look at loopmaster and radial big shot. I made my own. I made a double bypass looper. One set that goes through all my boss pedals and the the next one goes to my boss tuner.

timthetortoise said:
Step #1: make sure guitar out is going to pedal in, and pedal out is going to amp in
Step #2: ?
Step #3: Profit
I knew this worked with underpants, but it works with guitars and pedals too?

i've not noticed any "tone sucking" from my TU2, but maybe you are. i CAN hear a difference in tonal quality when using different cables, though, so i don't think you're crazy. :p

cheers,
wade

If the bypass is buffered, then by definition it is a low impedance output and should have no further loss of tone. However, if the device itself sounds bad, then the buffer won't help.

Tone loss from a single device would be indicative of a unbuffered bypass and an input impedance that was too low, such that the total load on the instrument is too great. Or again, a crap circuit in the first place.

Why?

If the tuner is such a pain in the ass, why not tune low E by piano, and do the rest from there? Or tune along with a piano. I really don't see a point to chromatic tuners.

Back