Boss Br8 Mixdown

gtrist

Can someone tell me if it is possible to use the doubling effect on
certain tracks and then use delay on certain other tracks, or even chorus for that matter. It seems to only let me use one or the other on all tracks. I would like to add delay to some lead tracks but it changes all the others to delay also. I would have thought it would allow each track to be mixed separately. I hope that it is just me doing something wrong.

Keep ona Rockin

Yes you can put effects on each individual track.

Push effect ie. delay (then enter track #) and you're set.

Good Luck,

cj

OK, Let me play this back. Right now I am working on a song that I'm writing. I have my leads on track 3 and vocals on tracks 7 & 8. I have added the doubling effect on tracks 7 & 8 but when I add the delay I want on my leads, track 3, it changes 7 & 8 to delay also. I have tried over and over again with the same unwanted results. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Keep ona rockin

You can do this but not the way you're going about it. You have to use an insert effect and a loop effect. There's a couple different ways to do this, here's an example:

You can use the doubling effect(loop effect)on tracks 7&8. Then use an insert effect for the delay on track 3. To use an insert effect you'll need to get into UTILITY and then choose effects (the stomp box icon) and select how the effect will be used. You can choose to effect individual tracks (1-8), stereo tracks (1&2, 3&4, 5&6 or 7&8) or master (over all the tracks). Remember to switch the effect settings back to input (normal) when you're done or you won't be able to use effects when recording.

Hope this helps.

Stray

Thanks for the more detailed instructions Stray.
Is this the same method you would use to add different effects to a dry recording so I can record it once and add different effects to it? I would think you could use virtual tracks to save any you would want to re-hear upon composing the song. I really appreciate your input.

gtrist

Gtrist,

I know that you can record the track dry, this is an option in the effects page. However, I've never done what you mentioned with the V tracks so I'm unsure on that one. I think you can only had one effect running at a time, but I'm not sure how that works with V tracks. Maybe someone else has some experience in this area, I'd be interested to see if it's possible.

Good luck

Stray

Stray, I remember seeing it on one of the two vhs tapes I have explaining things to a degree of sorts. On the rock song that comes on the demo zip you can go to the lead track and use the different virtual tracks to hear the different leads. Somewhere in there I saw something about dry recording and adding effects later. I guess I'm just looking for an easy way out on figuring some of the tricks this unit has. All the help from other Br8 users can only speed the learning process. I will try some of those tricks in the next few days and get back to this post with some results. Till then

"Keep ona Rockin"

gtrist said:
Can someone tell me if it is possible to use the doubling effect on
certain tracks and then use delay on certain other tracks, or even chorus for that matter. It seems to only let me use one or the other on all tracks. I would like to add delay to some lead tracks but it changes all the others to delay also. I would have thought it would allow each track to be mixed separately. I hope that it is just me doing something wrong.

Keep ona Rockin
I feel your pain. :-)

I have had the same issues and here is how I've got around some of them. First thing you could try is to determine which type of delay effect (chorus, doubling, or delay) you would want on the least number of tracks. Thats because the BR8 only allows insert effects on a single or pair of tracks. If you had a chorus sound that you need for just guitar, then you could go into the options menu, effects, and assign an insert effect to the track that contains the guitar track. At that point you could go and modify an effects patch to the type of chorus sound you like. Most likely, you would turn off any COSM amp stuff because the guitar is probably recorded with the correct amp type sound already. Well, I think you know what I mean. Anyway, with the guitar using the chorus sound from an insert effect, you could still use the loop effects for a delay or doublin'.

The other thing you could do is to decide which tracks you would like to use a certain effect for and bounce them (with effects) to a stereo pair. Then when you play back the pair, you turn off all the effects for that pair. That leaves your loop effects able to be changed to whatever you want. I've done this with background vocal tracks where I wanted the doubling effect but later needed delay for the lead vocal and guitar.

I hope this helps and God bless you.

I guess I am finding out different ways to approach this. I wish it were as easy as having the ability to use whatever effect you would want per track with just the touch of the track button. I have been using the dry recordings for my lead tracks and I like the fact I can change that lead into any sound I want. I also have been using v-tracks to hold the different leads until I figure on which one I want to use. I did all this just this past week and I keep learning more. Thanks for all the input. The more help I get the more we all will learn.

Keep ona Rockin

Back