Boss Br1600CD or New PC?

Keyster

I can get a BR1600CD for $800. I want to record my own demos using acoustic & electric guitar and vocals as well as importing my other instrumentation via Reason 4.0. I mix down using Audition 3.0.
Would I be better off buying the BR1600CD or starting from scratch and trying to build up a pc based home recording studio?

Personally, I'd say if portability isnt too important, I'd DEFINITELY go the computer route. I think computer is much easier to use. Check out Reaper if you haven't yet...

http://www.reaper.fm/
Thanks for the reply.
When you say that the computer is easier to use, how so? is it not the case that you just plug in your guitar/mic with either system and start recording?
I currently plug my guitar/mic into an original Tascam Portastudio 144 which then goes into the line in on my pc. I record my demos using Audition 3.0, pulling in drums/piano/strings via Reason 4.0. The Br1600CD seems simpler but if I started from scratch what pc (preferably laptop) and other hardware would I need (and could I get for the same $800)?

Id say PC...I'd also say a desktop as laptops do have limitations

you can get quad processors for less that $500 here...that leaves $300 for a decent interface..I like Line6 stuff but Im sure others will chip in

Maybe even get a smaller interface and buy some monitors second hand if you dont have any...you can do quite a lot with $800 :)

Thanks for the reply.
When you say that the computer is easier to use, how so? is it not the case that you just plug in your guitar/mic with either system and start recording

fair question.
I like to have software with an intuitive graphic interface, so not only can i *hear* what I'm doing, but I can see it at a glance. Its also very easy to move things around or copy and paste. The few stand alones I've encountered seemed to have less-than-intuitive menu systems, and limited metering capability.

Also, moving around and backing up your data are a piece of cake.

Personally, even if I was looking for something portable, I'd still do a small rack for the interface and a laptop (you'll pay a lil more for a laptop with the cahones for recording).

you can get quad processors for less that $500 here
check the DAW (software's) specs whether it can even process in Quad or even Dual Core. I've been reading about this at the official REAPER forum. You might be no better of if the software only works with one core processor and you'd be no better of where you're currently are.

If you're recording one-track-at-a-time, a 2 channel audio interface will do. Make sure the Audio Int has a "guitar" of Hi Z input, if you're going to use Amp Sims, and a built-in MIC pre-amp.

If you do decide a Hardware recorder, check how many tracks-at-once it can record. I just investigated the ZOOM R16 can record 8 tracks at one, and serve as an 8 input audio interface, with 1 guitar input, 2 mic pre-amps, and 2 built-in condensor mic and built-in FX, for around $400US. You can transfer audio to the PC for final mix-down via USB. I am considering it.

Im recording with a AMD 64 processor with 1 gig of ram, and im doing JUST fine.....I kinda hit my limit when i layer a bit to much sometimes but other than that its actually a good setup. Go with the desktop....I was looking in the office max paper last weekend and there was a computer with a duel core processor and 4 gigs of ram.....and the price was like 269 bucks.....THAT WILL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT.

GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER GET THE COMPUTER

THEN SAVE THE REST OF YOUR MONEY FOR A GOOD SEQUENCER........LIKE SONAR 6 7 OR 8..........just an example. There are alot of other good sequencers out there as well.

I paid 150 bucks for sonar 7XL.....AND IT WORKS PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

What i am lacking is my audio interface........which you will have LOTS OF MONEY FOR.

either way i have an m-audio fast track usb......and for what it is it does great things.

So........................................COMPUTER---------SEQUENCER--------AUDIO INTERFACE.

As much as I like the standalone DAW portability...Id reccomend the Tascam 2488 neo...never liked the Boss stuff that much...the really nice part are the operating systems are made especially for the pourpose of recording and will not crash like a computer which is designed for other things.

But you will be able to dump the tracks into a program on a desktop

Like said above the Line6 interfaces are years ahead of the others in what they can do...and are top quality...but you do need the highest speed PC with the most RAM because they can be a resource hog.

The one and only time Ill reccomend any Behringer gear is when it isnt in the signal path...they do happen to have a control surface that is only $150 and does just as much as some over $1100...I say this because many like the portable things because they like to touch the stuff, instead of using a mouse.

Anyhow if you go the computer route you can allways upgrade.

I've got a BR1600 that I thrash. I use it for recording real instruments and vocals with microphones. I use a drum kit (not electronic), no soft synths or midi and very little direct injected. Mikes on guitars and amps etc, but not played loud. In that way it works for me just fine. If I had a Tascam, Korg, Roland, Yamaha or Fostex I'd use it in the same way and it'd make very little difference to how I use it or, I suspect, what it'd sound like. I just happen to have a Boss and I've had it for years. At the time I bought it, it was probably one of the best for the price.

The room (ah, attic) I record on it in and the types of mikes I have and their placement would have the most impact on the sound I get regardless of whether it was a stand alone unit like the BR1600 or a PC recording chain or 16 bit or 24 bit or 44.1khz or whatever. I also find no need to use an outboard pre for exactly the same reason. I get the sound out of it that I'm after.

It has it's limitations especially in it's lack of visual editing and the fact that you can only use it's internal palette of effects and sound processors but rather than suck everything out of it into a computer for editing and mixing (which I can do and do have) I just use the Boss on it's own all the way to the final mastered result. You can do a lot of things on it that you can do with visual based software but it's more time consuming and you have to dip into the manual quite a bit to get the hang of it. I just find it easier to treat it like you would a tape multitracker and spend a bit more effort on recording the parts as best as I can in the first place. Then again, I'm not after quantized, pitch corrected girly perfection. I want it to move around. If I was more into beats, midi, drum loops, soft synths and heavily processed vocals then I would go the PC path but I'm too old for that shit.

$600-$800 sounds about right for the BR1600 at the moment. All in one for six to eight hundred bucks or greater flexibility and editing ease of use for whatever it costs you to set yourself up using a PC based chain? Depends on where you see yourself going with it and what your real budget is I guess.

I'm staying right where I am but if I was buying new today with what I know now then I'd probably go laptop, four to eight channel mike pre/interface and Reaper and run it at 24/48 or 24/44.1. I maybe could just do it now for eight hundred schimoolies but I could definitely do it to the level I'd want to for what I paid for the BR1600 five years ago.

But it'd all have to be quiet and that's one of the great things about the BR1600 - you can have it right next to you and record soft guitar parts using a small diaphragm omni condenser and you won't hear it - no fan and almost no disk access noise. There's more rustling, farting and breathing coming out of me at rest than that thing in action.

:rolleyes:G:)

I just find it easier to treat it like you would a tape multitracker and spend a bit more effort on recording the parts as best as I can in the first place.

I think that's a great point! It would force you to learn to track well first, then edit. I used the BR1600 for a while with some really good results. Cool thing about it (that I didn't know then, but do now) is that the yellow track lights at the bottom double as pads for programming the internal drum machine.

All other things being equal, I'd go with the Boss, then upgrade later if you need/want to.

I have the Korg D3200 and I transfer the files to the PC for editing. The sound card is an Echo Mona so I'm fortunate to have some of the best for both stand alone and computer based recording. No fans in the Korg either but my hard drive is a little noisy. As time goes by I'd like learn more about editing on the Korg and get away from the PC as much as possible.

I went thru this a few months back when I started to do my own demos. I decided on a Yamaha AW1600 (Used about $500) and have been really pleased with the results. It has a USB I/F that allows for WAV transfer but does not function as a USB audio I/F which is it's only real letdown.

The great thing about a standalone DAW is that you can pack it up and take it anywhere, you can also use it at a live gig to do the mix and record as well. I prefer this flexibility. Before I bought this model I spent weeks on forums and determined that this was the best quality portable DAW for the money.

I am sure the Boss and others are pretty good too, I just found the most favourable comments for the Yamaha. I have a quad PC with Cubase which I use to do the final mixdown.

Obviously you will also need to look into mic's too and it is likely that your recordings will sound much better with external preamps as inbuilt portable DAW preamps on all brands have a poor reputation. I bought a couple of mAudio DMP3 dual channel preamps that I am very happy with.

Good luck.

This song was my first ever recording on my newly aquired Yamaha AW1600.

Captured on Yamaha AW1600, MAudio DMP3 Preamp & Rode NT2A Mic.
Mixed in Cubase 4 LE

Back