Boss br 600 headache

Dave L

Hello everyone, im a newy to this and joined as the online vids were of no use.
Ive just bought a pre owned boss br 600 digital 8 track but i am a bit baffled (after going through manual)

Trackwise it goes 1,2,3,4, thats easy enough, but 5/6 and 7/8 are together as they are in stereo and its one track only for each! Now this is were my head hurts because my former 8 track was 1- 8 and a master track to record onto.easy enough also.
Apparently the master on the boss is also the 7/8 track and everything has to be bounced onto this to then transfer to pc via wav file to burn to disc.

So how do i get 8 tracks onto the 7/8 master track. As far as i can see 5/6 is 1 track and 7/8 is the master to store completed song on.

If anyone has a br 600 or any valuable info to help me out with id muchly appreciate it, and thankyou

It is 8 tracks when you consider 5/6 and 7/8 as 2 tracks each. When you select 'Bounce' mode, you choose which tracks to bounce where, so you can choose Track 1 virtual track 3 (for example), Tracks 2, 3, 4, 5/6, 7/8 virtual track 1 (for each, for example) and then select your bounced (mixed) track destination (must be stereo track 7/8) virtual track 2 (or any other virtual track # except the one you are bouncing from (virtual track 1 in this case). You have 8 virtual tracks per Track,but can only listen to one virtual track from each Track at one time.

Havn't i got to leave 7/8 blank for everything else to be mastered on though. Still quite not got the hang of this yet

No. As I exampled above, you just need to set your destination/sources correct when bouncing (which is 'mixing down').

Err? Even if you had a conventional 8 track OR machine you would have to leave 2 tracks spare to mix down to unless you had another 2 tracks recorder.

Yonks ago my son used to record 4 tracks on a Teac A3440 and mix them down to a JVC hi fi video machine which was an early model without AVC so you could set levels properly. The coming of a 1/2 decent computer, a 2496 and Samplitude SE8 changed all that forever!

Dave.

Err? Even if you had a conventional 8 track OR machine you would have to leave 2 tracks spare to mix down to unless you had another 2 tracks recorder.

Yonks ago my son used to record 4 tracks on a Teac A3440 and mix them down to a JVC hi fi video machine which was an early model without AVC so you could set levels properly. The coming of a 1/2 decent computer, a 2496 and Samplitude SE8 changed all that forever!

Dave.

Dave - the way the Boss is made, you can bounce down from a track 7/8 virtual track to a different track 7/8 virtual track.

Oh! Right! Ok, but we ALL know OP would still be better off with a PC and an i02!

Dave.

Oh for sure, but using a stand-alone recorder is a good way to start learning the basics of recording. For some folks, that's all they really want.

Back