Bose attendees?

littledog

Anyone here invited to the the Bose "top-secret" sound system demo and training seminars this week? If anyone else from here is going to be there, let me know so we can hook up and say "hi".

lol, I don't think they would invite me. Obvious reasons really, let us all know how the crapfest turns out.

sorry, guys. didn't quite follow the responses.

NuTT - are you in the speaker business? Sorry if I don't recognize you.

ds21, I don't know very much about Bose, so maybe there's some history here I'm unaware of... Is this another Behringer type thing - a company that everyone hates? I'm out of the loop on this one.

But I'm always available for people to give me free gear to use and ask me my honest opinion on how I like it. I didn't realize that doomed me to the dark side...

But it is an interesting and different concept of live sound they have come up with. So far i've got as many questions as answers, and would need to work with it in the trenches before being fully convinced. And I haven't seen any projected prices yet. But it could POSSIBLY be a revolutionary product.

Or not....

We'll all know soon...

In the speaker business, not at the moment.

It's hard to compare Bose to Behringer. I don't know what the story with Behringer is but obviously they at least try to give out a quality product at a reasonable price.

There has been some impressive audio technology developed in recent days, none of it being revolutionary, at least in the hi-fi world. None of which came from Bose. A matter of fact, I don't really think Bose does anything. Their engineers suck fried chicken cock all day, there's no other explanation for the crap they come up with. It's not entirely the problem that they can't come up with anything innovative (speaking in positive terms), but the fact that they can't seem to build the most basic of speakers properly, as if they lack the perception of physics. Diag firing tweeters? Really, what the f*** is that? Besides this, their marketing tactics are very cocky and mis-informed, which is entirely where their profits come from, half witted customers. Their systems bring nothing new to the world of audio. They may be a big company but they will always be in the shadows of real pioneers. That about sums it up.

littledog said:
sorry, guys. didn't quite follow the responses.

I don't know very much about Bose, so maybe there's some history here I'm unaware of... Is this another Behringer type thing - a company that everyone hates? I'm out of the loop on this one.

From what I gater from guys over at PSW, Bose is what women want...Small and easily hidden sound system that doesn't interfere with decorative things. The Live sound guys I guess don't like their products and would compare Bose to T-RackS if you know what I mean. So I do some hate towards the Bose name. Ive heard their home stereo's and they seemed to be ok, but not able to deal with what teenagers, metal heads or rappers do. Im always willing to test and give a fair handshake to anythings, regardless of popular opinion. There is an Alesis X2 on Ebay for $1500 at the moment...There are some lines Im not willing to cross ;)

Lets us know what you think...

SoMm

littledog said:
I don't know very much about Bose, so maybe there's some history here I'm unaware of... Is this another Behringer type thing - a company that everyone hates? I'm out of the loop on this one.

A better comparison would be Digidesign. Bose has become the most reconizable name in the home theatre market and they capitalize on it by selling mediocre systems at outrageous prices. My dad got suckered in and bought a $1200 surround system without consulting me. It's basically an underpowered sub and 5 4" satellite tweeters. My $350 Klipsche computer surround speakers blow it away.

My friend Dean Whitehead works for BOSE, and they're trying to do what every other retailer is trying to do- Grab a huge market segment and sell more gear tomorrow than they did today. Behringer has grabbed the bottom end market segment of live sound and home recording. By reverse engineering and extreme cost cutting, they've produced products that often work for lower prices than anyone else. Therefore, their stuff is not the best, has QC issues, and has no original content. However, it's the gear you buy if it's what you can afford.
BOSE has made itself one of the most recognized names in home audio by marketing home and car systems to the upper middle class, especially those who are not audiophiles. Most home stereo fanatics don't use BOSE gear, but the average junior partner in a legal firm in Wellesley does.
Dr. Lemar BOSE made a killing with a concept in how to get better presence and bass response out of speakers without using a big reflex cab. A look at some top of the line desktop speakers from Cambridge Soundworks will show you that his idea has been stolen enough times to make his speakers far from unique in the 21st century. What the hell- if they've got a new idea, I hope it's a good one. They certainly have access to enough brains and deep enough pockets to build some really cool gear. I hope they do. Congrats on getting enough respect to be asked to participate. I hope you are adequately compensated, or they are just using you for a tool.-Richie

well, this one is a major departure from any live sound system I've ever seen. Seems perfect for certain kinds of groups, maybe not so ideal for others.

requires a major rethinking of basic accepted concepts of live sound, and whether musicians will be willing or interesting in making the adjustment remains to be seen.

it will all be revealed oct. 15th. after a couple of days hands-on i'm kind of on the fence...

NuTT98 said:
Their engineers suck fried chicken cock all day, there's no other explanation for the crap they come up with.

You may be entirely right. I have no experience with their prior products. But I did a quick search on the main designer/engineer, Cliff Henricksen, and found:

At EV he worked on the DH1 compression driver and the EVX line of high power woofers under the direction of Cliff Henricksen

and :

About two years ago, Signal Perfection Limited’s (SPL) Felix Robinson, who, for several years, has consulted with MSG staff regarding audio, recommended a new system to replace one that had served admirably for well over a decade. Garden management concurred, procuring the budget for a project slated to be complete in September 2001, just in time for the first face-off of hockey season.
The previous system had been designed by Cliff Henricksen, who served as audio supervisor at the Garden before departing to provide product design for two leading manufacturers. Robinson assisted Hendrickson, learning both a great deal about the system and audio principles in general prior to taking the handoff.
That system, installed well over a decade ago by Henricksen’s U.S. Sound (later acquired by Bose), offered three-way loudspeaker clusters divided among four primary positions at ceiling level, each handling roughly one-fourth of the coverage area. As with the new project, these clusters were subject to severe aesthetic restrictions in deference to MSG’s distinctive ceiling (more on this later). The subsequent addition of numerous advertising signs in the arena created several shadowed seating regions, necessitating the addition of distributed loudspeakers.
“The prior system was very well designed for its time, and with some extra care from Cliff and later, me, it had what can be considered an extended life span,” Robinson explains.

couldn't find anything about fried chicken cock. he's not a bad R&B keyboard player either...

So far, I've never heard anything from Bose that really sounded especially good. The old 901's were only impressive because they were so unusual at that time and it surpriesed people that a bunch of 4" speakers could do that.....but overall, they didn't sound that great. The same goes for all of their home stereo stuff and that horribly overpriced WaveRadio piece of crap. Get a Cambridge Soundworks radio instead.
And the Acoustimass system or whatever it's called is absolutely the poorest performance per dollar that is on the market.
I certainly would, however, take free gear to use and I'm always interested in new technology so let us know.

But at this point, I'd be far more interested in using Behringer gear than Bose......at least Behringer prices their stuff appropriately.

Well.....the best system money can buy is gonna run you $100,000 or more. Go to Stereophile's website and you'll find reviews on plenty of speakers costing $30,000 to $65,000 a pair and amps going for the same. $10,000 CD players aren't uncommon.
$1000 to $2000 really just gets you into the ground floor. Having said that.........you should be able to put together a fine system in your price range.
I would really check out Stereophile for some guidance and avoid mass-market stores like Circuit City and such.
If I had that much to spend......I'd probably spend it all on a cartridge for my VPI turntable. :rolleyes: I love records.

Back