boost distortion whith eq or od?

Ostia Man

-what do you use od or eq?
I use the mxr Zakk wylde to boost the dirty chanel of my amps, but with an eq insted of the od I have more control over the tone and the sharpnes of the sound but not the same sustain, maybe a compressor will help. My boss ge7(eq) is a bit noisy not as the od but still noisy, a compressor will just bring up the noise.
-anyone knows a less noisy eq pedal?

I used to use the GE7 in a two guitar band. To avoid the noise, I used to cut mids out of a solo tone to make a rythmm tone. Worked quite well. Put it next to my DD3 so I could tap 'em both at once.

Surprisingly enough, my Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ is dead silent. My only gripe is that there's a little pop when you switch it on. I always have it on, so it doesn't bother me, but for $30, you can't ask for better price for value. I hear MXR makes a good EQ pedal too. You do have to realize that when you boost frequencies on the EQ, you're going to have more noise, no matter what the pedal is. If all you do is cut, then no problem there.

Boost distortion with od, and color with eq.

If you place your eq pedal after the od pedal, you should get less noise. But in general, eq pedals are quite noisy.

Also, if your amp has an effects loop, you can also try your eq pedal there.

If I need more distortion/OD, I use another OD to push it. Just remember, you can quickly turn everything to mud, so experiment with pedal order and gain & levels. Usually, If I don't need anymore - I use a clean boost - such as the BOSS Eq or Xotic RC Booster (Clean boost with Eq & gain knobs) to avoid the mud.

Stick the eq in the effects loop if you have one, that's where they are most useful. The 'k' in your guitar's 'kruunggg' is usually at about 2.5k-ish.

Try using the Zakk Wylde with the gain turned right down so that it's barely altering the signal at all, then use the output to get as much extra gain as you need. I've found that boost pedals work best with the tone set as trebley as possible, as that's where the 'crunch' bit is.

Also bear in mind that you quite often don't need as much gain as you think you do. When you're playing in your bedroom it sounds great with the gain at 10 and then some with a booster pedal. But as soon as you start to crank the volume, either when playing live or recording, you'll find yourself turning down the gain to get a heavier sound.

I threw my graphic eq pedal out the window. I relyed on that thing for so long! Throw yours away. Get a quiet signal going, with something else. Once your ears get used to it, you'll never miss it. You can blend a distortion box and an amps gain, by backing off the drive settings of both the amp, and the pedal, until you have some clarity. It takes a while, but once it's there, fuck, the eq bullshit! :D

Back