boombox

Man, I do love your throwbacks to Jerry Garcia on the solos.

I don't find the mix too mid-heavy, but I hear the bass being boomy. the fact that no one else mentioned it has me wondering about my own set up. It used to be your mixes played real well in my studio, but maybe I fidgeted too much with the subwoofer. :facepalm:

All else sounds good to me. Typical groovin Heat song. Love it.

Thanks Chili. Yeah, I think many must tire of those seemingly endless, similar runs that I tend to do, but at least it appears that you and I don't ;).

Every once in a while I get away from that style but I keep going back to it like an addiction or something. I think Trip made the same comment on the bass, but most seem to think it's ok. It isn't featured here so much as other tracks and I didn't give it as much thought, so I may've missed some EQ opportunities or something.

LOUD wooow LOUD.
I like it There must've been some panning adjustment by this listen - you've made things a little more phonic with the stereonessthing. The solo is fun at 1st but I'm not sure it holds up after a bit.
Enjoyable stuff!

Is it really loud? Is that ok? I guess I can never tell. I don't really know what I'm doing at the final stage there when I bring up the mix near 0db. Some songs definitely come out much louder than others and I don't often know why. I basically try to get it as loud as I can without ruining tonal balance and dynamics, but it's always a bit of a trade off, you know? I may have squashed this one a bit too much which I guess is what I meant about it sounding mid rangey...

I feel the opposite about the acoustic guitar "solo". I think it starts off kind of weak, but when the chord changes come in and I do those bends, I think it grooves pretty well. That was a leftover from the 1st scratch track and it has no business being in there, but again, I thought maybe it was cool in an ironic way or something. Thanks much for the input ray!

You are a chicken pickin maniac!!! This sounds f-ing awesome. The bass on my setup is specifically calibrated to your recordings, and you did not disappoint - CRAZY good bass sound. You are driving me nuts with how much I wish I could get that sound. ps - You are also the only living human to get me to listen to guitar that sounds even remotely like the dead, AND make me love it.

Yay! Thanks for commenting chuck! Good lord, I didn't know that about you and the dead. If what you say is true though - mission accomplished!

The bass here is a peavey milestone cheapo deal, plugged into a behringer mic 100 pre amp with plenty 'o gain, then the output from that is straight into the line in on the mutitracker. Not a pretty set up at all. I play with a pick and I play hard and way up over the fretboard away from the bridge. It sounds smoother and fuller that way to me.

Ha, yes it is pretty loud! I listened to it straight after Fritsthegirl's song without touching the volume level and immediately my "ball's were shaking like a booty on display" to borrow a phrase :D

I don't feel like I make much of a constructive contribution to your stuff these days as I always like your songs/arrangements anyway and you just get better and better at the balances in mix you post up. This has got a real full sheen to it and there's tons going on throughout.

The only thing that stuck out for me was the acoustic solo - I like it and it's an enjoyably incongruous idea, but the guitar sounds a little out of tune to me in spots (particularly around 2.13). Is it just me or does anyone else hear this?

As with others, I've moved on to the level of just enjoying your tunes outside the context of the site too. It's great stuff - excellent bass tone, vocals, lyrics etc etc etc. Who cares if your method of getting that bass sound is through cheapo equipment - the ends always justify the means in music for me. Excellent work as usual Pete :)

Yay! Thanks for commenting chuck! Good lord, I didn't know that about you and the dead. If what you say is true though - mission accomplished!

It's true, I even wrote a song about not liking the Dead! My neighbor is always trying to turn me. Absolutely refuses to believe me. You make it work though :-)! You gave me the skinny on that bass a while back, though I think I recall a compressor involved?

Ha, yes it is pretty loud! I listened to it straight after Fritsthegirl's song without touching the volume level and immediately my "ball's were shaking like a booty on display" to borrow a phrase :D

Woo hoo! In your face fritsthegirl! I'm louder than you are :p! I...huh?, wait, it's "walls", not "balls"...gross dude.

The only thing that stuck out for me was the acoustic solo - I like it and it's an enjoyably incongruous idea, but the guitar sounds a little out of tune to me in spots (particularly around 2.13). Is it just me or does anyone else hear this?

I've taken to tuning my guitars pretty frequently while tracking, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue, but I may've hit a sour note or two in their myself. I just listened again and didn't hear anything unintentional around 2:13. Around 2:17 it sounds like a kind of got stuck there and I hit a note off beat that still bugs me. Timing is one of the few things I think of as strength with my playing, so that was pretty weak. Normally I'd rule out using a track with something like that in it.

If others are hearing that guitar as out of tune though I'd love to hear about it.

Hearing that you listen to some of my music outside of here is really nice. I listen to very few things from here purely for entertainment purposes and don't want to list stuff for fear of offending anyone by virtue of exclusion, but I definitely listen to Oddest Sea all the time and also Mechanical Dream by ChuckD. Thanks Rob :D.

It's true, I even wrote a song about not liking the Dead! My neighbor is always trying to turn me. Absolutely refuses to believe me. You make it work though :-)! You gave me the skinny on that bass a while back, though I think I recall a compressor involved?

That's funny. When they were still touring before Jerry died, I never wanted to convert anyone...we never wanted to make it harder to get tickets, you know?

Yeah, I forgot about compression. I took a look and this bass track got compressed twice actually. Once, with mild settings while tracking, and then again in a more extreme manner once the whole mix was in place. Normally I also do a fair amount of EQ, but none this time.

I've got a boombox, you bring the beer. How can you lose with something like that? Catchy tune, great chorus - it'd be fun to drink to this one. Oh, hang on... I *am* drinking to this one. I'd probably try an EQ on the master bus, and cut 1.0 Q something lowmiddish and maybe boost just a wee bit around 7K just to see. Maybe even a gentle low shelf? The bits all fit, but there's an overall hint of darkness to it. A mastering engineer would be reaching for EQ first on this one, I think.

Woo hoo! In your face fritsthegirl! I'm louder than you are :p! I...huh?, wait, it's "walls", not "balls"...gross dude.

Oh, WALLS :laughings: :facepalm:

It did occur to me that it was a slightly vulgar line, but as it still fitted meaning-wise I didn't think too much more of it. Doh!

I've taken to tuning my guitars pretty frequently while tracking, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue, but I may've hit a sour note or two in their myself. I just listened again and didn't hear anything unintentional around 2:13. Around 2:17 it sounds like a kind of got stuck there and I hit a note off beat that still bugs me. Timing is one of the few things I think of as strength with my playing, so that was pretty weak. Normally I'd rule out using a track with something like that in it.

If others are hearing that guitar as out of tune though I'd love to hear about it.

Hearing that you listen to some of my music outside of here is really nice. I listen to very few things from here purely for entertainment purposes and don't want to list stuff for fear of offending anyone by virtue of exclusion, but I definitely listen to Oddest Sea all the time and also Mechanical Dream by ChuckD. Thanks Rob :D.

I've got a Heat compilation on my ipod - for all your insecurities (or lack of arrogance) about your music, it stands up very well amongst the professionally recorded music when I listen to it. Even the early stuff you'd probably baulk at now. Chuck's Mechanical Dream is certainly one of the standout tunes from my time on here for too.

Very nice of you to say about The Oddest Sea too - all I can hear are the mistakes! I'd like to re-visit it one day :)

I just listened to the solo section again - between 2.13-2.17 does still sound kinda discordant to me. I dunno though, if nobody else hears it then it's quite possibly just me!

I came late to the party...

I would address the definition of the lead part (guitar/chicken pickin). It does not seem to take the same stage as the vocal does. The vocal seems to be buried a bit as well, though that is a tough one to get, with the sound you are going with. 'Thin' is the best word I can come up with, to describe what I hear, in regards to the guitar solo/accent parts.

Also, my sub has not made a breath. Some 80hz and below, would be nice to hear. It does not exist in the mix I heard.

And I myself, am hearing that the lead track may be a bit flat, tuning wise. Not enough to make me cringe, but definitely noticeable.

I must say tho, I really like the tune. Hell, I am going to dance with my 8 month old baby, while playing your song. She started dancing, the second she heard it. :)

I've got a boombox, you bring the beer. How can you lose with something like that? Catchy tune, great chorus - it'd be fun to drink to this one. Oh, hang on... I *am* drinking to this one. I'd probably try an EQ on the master bus, and cut 1.0 Q something lowmiddish and maybe boost just a wee bit around 7K just to see. Maybe even a gentle low shelf? The bits all fit, but there's an overall hint of darkness to it. A mastering engineer would be reaching for EQ first on this one, I think.

Cool. Thanks dobro. If I go back to this one again (which is quite possible, but I'm distracted by the beginnings of a new tune and struggle with multitasking) I will keep your suggestions in mind. For some reason I kind of lost track of the overall tonal balance on this one somewhere along the way. I'm glad you checked it out and I value your input.

Oh, WALLS :laughings: :facepalm:

It did occur to me that it was a slightly vulgar line, but as it still fitted meaning-wise I didn't think too much more of it. Doh!

:laughings::laughings: I thought maybe you'd adapted the line on your own, but no...that's pretty funny. I think mentioning booty is about as vulgar as I'm gonna get.

I just listened to the solo section again - between 2.13-2.17 does still sound kinda discordant to me. I dunno though, if nobody else hears it then it's quite possibly just me!

I think Jimmy heard the same thing :o. You're both probably right and that bit should be redone with something better, but I'm honestly not sure I have the desire at this stage...we'll see. What else could go there...?

All of your songs are JUST my style. I love them. Seriously, I put your stuff right up there with my favorite stuff to listen to: RHCP, RATM, The Beatles, Frusciante, etc.

Whatever style you got..... :)............strikes a chord with me. :cool:

^^That was a CSI reference if ya didn't get it. :laughings:

Looking forward to your CD!

I came late to the party...

I would address the definition of the lead part (guitar/chicken pickin). It does not seem to take the same stage as the vocal does. The vocal seems to be buried a bit as well, though that is a tough one to get, with the sound you are going with. 'Thin' is the best word I can come up with, to describe what I hear, in regards to the guitar solo/accent parts.

Also, my sub has not made a breath. Some 80hz and below, would be nice to hear. It does not exist in the mix I heard.

And I myself, am hearing that the lead track may be a bit flat, tuning wise. Not enough to make me cringe, but definitely noticeable.

I must say tho, I really like the tune. Hell, I am going to dance with my 8 month old baby, while playing your song. She started dancing, the second she heard it. :)

Geez Jimmy. That's quite a laundry list! You're probably right about all of it. When I take yours and dobro's comments collectively into consideration, it does add up to a strange overall mix. Lacking in real lows, yet a little muddy and lacking in some highs as well. Objectively, I think I hear that, but subjectively, I kind of like the lo fi, mid rangey quality that results.

So, it sounds like the lead lacks body and perhaps volume as do the vocals? I think I'm ok with the thin quality to the vocal track. The lead guitar is a little buried, but I think I like the tone here. Not 100% sure though and I appreciate your taking the time to provide detailed tips.

Most importantly to me at least, I'm glad you and your little one enjoyed the song. I find that at 8 months, people are pretty generous with regard to their taste in music, but at least it didn't make her cry or anything!

All of your songs are JUST my style. I love them. Seriously, I put your stuff right up there with my favorite stuff to listen to: RHCP, RATM, The Beatles, Frusciante, etc.

Whatever style you got..... :)............strikes a chord with me. :cool:

^^That was a CSI reference if ya didn't get it. :laughings:

Looking forward to your CD!

Awesome. That is so nice Crows...I'm glad you like it.

I'm on vacation this week, so no excuse not to ship that CD sometime soon. You'll find the volume of each track is completely different as I "mastered" each one individually over the course of a couple of years. You get the original mix of this tune I'm afraid...hey, if I ever make it, it'll be like a rare out take or something :p! Thanks again!

Eh, quality of performance over quality of mix I think. Thanks again, heat!

I have about 6 songs. Only 3 or 4 more to go!

Man, you are droppin' em left and right these days, I can barely keep up. Every time I turn around there's a new 'miser track bouncing around in here! I've listened to this twice and I'm thoroughly convinced you are controlling my thoughts from far away with some kind of malevolent UV waves or something. I've dreamed about this exact party every night for three weeks straight now, only it's me and 7 giant ROYGBIV raccoons playing dueling violins in an underground cave,, then I wake up in a cold sweat. Stop controlling my thoughts! Get out of my mind evil heatmiser dude!! And awesome chicken picken. Except when it sounds like the Dead. I ate the Dead. They needed salt. Hey where did everyone go??

You stoners are really fun to listen to. lol

Wait, what was I saying? Oh no I forgot to pass it. :)

i'm a person just like you
but i've got better things to do
then sit around and smoke dope
cause i know that i can cope
laugh at the thought of eating ludes
laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
always gonna keep in touch
never want to use a crutch

i've got the straight edge

i'm a person just like you
but i've got better things to do
then sit around and smoke dope
cause i know that i can cope
laugh at the thought of eating ludes
laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
always gonna keep in touch
never want to use a crutch

i've got the straight edge

COULD
this be a verse for a new song HEAT
if anyone can do it? :guitar::D

(still think a bit of tambo would be good in the acoustic solo!,,,, old fashioned see!)

Interesting. I have my speakers on a monitor station, and can selectively engage/disengage or solo the sub. There seemed to be some decent bass (as in bass guitar) info there. Maybe you were looking for 'KICK'. Maybe I just have my sub calibrated differently, but there is a healthy amount of bass (as in bass guitar) on my rig.

Nice cool tune, heatmiser-it has a late 60s/Summer of Love/ early 70s vibe going in there. Kind of a pop sound and those Jerry Garcia licks work so well with everything. Are the leads on an SG, and what is the vocal effect?
The song is a winner!

Wow...a lot of activity since the last time I checked...uh, where to begin?

Erik - If I had control of your mind, don't you think I'd do something cooler than make you dream of raccoons? (tomorrow morning you will wake with the inexplicably strong desire to ship all of your drums, amps and guitars to raymond, maine. Don't think about it - just do it!)

Jimmy - Still waiting....not cool man.

frits - rob has ruined that line for me forever! Eeeeew.

jiff - There is a tambourine in there playing opposite the snare beat throughout most of the song - maybe it isn't loud enough?

chuck - I hear plenty 'o bass as well. This kick doesn't really have too much of a deep thud or boom to it, so maybe that's what's felt to be missing. I don't have the means to measure specific frequencies though. My multitracker does have a spectrum analyzer built in, but I stopped checking it long ago as no matter what mix I played through it, it always looked really cool, but never revealed anything useful.

Back