Boom stand stabilization suggestions?

bassbrad

Until I can find an affordable alternative (& $) I am using standard tripod mic stands for drum overheads, it works but is not as stable as I would like for my precious large condenser mics. Any suggestions to get a bit more stability? I plan to try adding weight to the center mast as well as trying a counter weight just wondering if any one has any suggestions.

Counterweight would probably be better. I've heard of using light stands for better stability. Otherwise sand bag the base and counterweight the boom arm. Try not to have the boom fully extended either. And try to avoid unlevel ground and platforms that flex. Or just use lighter mics.

Do a search for canvas bags filled with birdshot. Like ankle weights. I think AEA sells something similar.

The suggestion I always heard was 5-10 pound weights from a sporting goods store. Be sure to pick one with a large enough center hole to slip over the center shaft of the mic stand. Mic stands tip because they are top-heavy due to lightweight materials (and because they don't spread out wide enough to overcome that).

I use 2 ten-lb barbell (I paid $4 each) weights from the sporting goods store.

If you have mic stands where a bit of the main tube goes below the legs,
slip the weights on the bottom and hold them on with a 50cent hose clamp.

Just sandbag 'em. That's the way we roll in TV land. Get some of those ankle weights for it, cuz those are made to strap around poles.

The suggestion I always heard was 5-10 pound weights from a sporting goods store. Be sure to pick one with a large enough center hole to slip over the center shaft of the mic stand.

Exactly. Get a 25 pound olympic plate weight, the kind with the 2 inch hole in the center. Drop it down over the stand with the main post thru the hole, and let it rest on top of the boom legs.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll go to Academy and get some ankle weights for the mast and boom, I really don't wanna go too heavy.

Back