Boom Stand, no more SB96+?

TheOneTrueMatt

So after some reading here on recommendations for "affordable" sturdy boom stands, it seemed the best bargain was the On Stage SB96+ for $80 which a lot of people recommended. But I checked 8th street and now there's only the SB9600 for $89.

The SB96+ is still on On Stage's website, and I see that it has wheels and the 9600 doesn't (which oddly isn't on the other website). The 9600 still looks really sturdy but wheels sounded nice. So should I get the 9600 or should I try to track down a 96+ somewhere and maybe get it cheaper?

TheOneTrueMatt said:
So after some reading here on recommendations for "affordable" sturdy boom stands, it seemed the best bargain was the On Stage SB96+ for $80 which a lot of people recommended. But I checked 8th street and now there's only the SB9600 for $89.

The SB96+ is still on On Stage's website, and I see that it has wheels and the 9600 doesn't (which oddly isn't on the other website). The 9600 still looks really sturdy but wheels sounded nice. So should I get the 9600 or should I try to track down a 96+ somewhere and maybe get it cheaper?
I don't know, I think your the one who's going to have to make the call on this one... a few years ago I got lucky on ebay and got four Atlas SB36 boom stands for only $300.

Just thought I would mention that I bought one of the "heavy-duty" On Stage booms about a month a go. The second time I used it, it snapped right where the boom connects to the upright bar. It's useless now.

Your message reminded me. It worked great the first time I used it because a bigger boom is so much better than those little stands most of us use. But now I have a cut on my head (it's really healed) and a broken, useless boom.

Haven't had a chance to go back to GC to see if they will do anything for me -- don't really feel like getting that stare from the GC guy "why did you come to me, I don't have time for problems and returns."

Anyway just my experience. I have some of the smaller ON Stage stands and haven't had a problem other than trying to keep enough weight on them to stand up on carpet. Anyway, Good luck.

Yo Hoyt! I'd get back to GC before the replacement is gone forever. 2 questions- One- was that an SB96+? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring how it would break at the point you are describing. 2- Is there any way you can post up a pic? I'd like to see the stand and how it broke.-Richie

Richie,

I just took some digital pics. Unfortunatley, I'm too lazy and too stupid to figure out how to post them here.

If you will email me at hoytmonster@aol.com, I'll email you a very good picture of the sorry @@+**d stand. You can see how flimsy it really is right where the most pressure will normally be applied.

Hoyt

Hoyt said:
Richie,

I just took some digital pics. Unfortunatley, I'm too lazy and too stupid to figure out how to post them here.
Resize them in your imaging software to 72dpi, approx 4x6 inches and save as jpeg so the file size is less than 65k bytes.
Then go to "attach file" at the bottom of your posting screen, hit "browse", find your file, hit "open" and then submit reply.

Yo Hoyt! I got the pics. Yes, that's an SB96+, and it looks like a bad weld. First, I'd send those pocs and tour warranty info to On Stage. Then, I'd take the parts to a good body shop. Any decent arc welder should be able to fix that in 10 minutes.-Richie

Cdoc,

I'll try posting it. If it works, thanks for the easy instructions. If it doesn't, I said "I'm stupid."

Attachments

• dsc00073.jpg
    dsc00073.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 62
Richie,

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions.

Truthfully, I've had about all the hassles of this nature I'm going to take for one life (I'm approaching 55). You are right about welding. In fact, my brother-in-law could do it -- but, I've just been too busy to do that. And I shouldn't have to.

After it broke, I put it in the corner (figuring some day I would find the right window to put it through). But when I saw the original post that mentioned this as a "sturdy boom," I decided to mention my experience here.

I know these type things are made to meet a certain price point. But, if they can't do better than that -- they need to do something else worthwhile.

Sorry, but I'm on a rant here. But -- I'm feeling better.

Promise not to post anymore and I am sure ON Stage will stand behind their product once I get the energy to handle things.

Best of Luck, Hoyt

TheOneTrueMatt, I'm sorry but I actually purchased 8thstreet's last pair, or so they told me.
These are nice stands, I was surprised to read about our fella's bad experiencie with this. Made me check solder points on mine. Mine appear to be fine. Besides his experience (its sad, there's always someone with a bad experience), these appear to be very nice, sturdy stands.

Back