Books or web sites for the dumb... errr or very inexperienced.

ONEsnowRIDER

This isn't really the correct forum for this post but being I'm trying to setup a recording system through my computer I thought what the heck.

I've looked through my manuals over and over. I'm staring to feel dumb.

I need the basics on how to set up a PC based recording system. I've read all kinds of stuff online and looked at all kinds of diagrams. I have to many "I/O" and "what the heck kind of cable am I supposed to use between the mixer and my MOTU 2408" and "analog patch 1-2 should be set to input" type of questions. Can anyone point me to a place I can get the basic questions answered? Does someone own a book they liked, or know of a SUPER newbs web site etc..

If it helps at all I have the following setup-
Guitar\mic---->POS crate PA6FX mixer (this is where I'm really confused on the setup... not sure if I can even use this mixer or how to hook it up, what kind of cable, what hole to what hole)--->MOTU 2408 mkII PCI 324 (have found the latest drivers for XP)---->sonar 5 PE.

Wouldn't it be better if some one could learn how to record using the http protocol, that way I could play in my underwear, you could record me and send it back... wait I would still have to figure a way to connect the guitar to my PC.

Thanks for looking-

I totally sympathize. I too am trying to figure out how to do this digital recording thing. There are so many things to consider!

But to get started I'd narrow it down to two. What software are you using? There should be a lot of instructions and hints in there. And number two What is your soundcard? Because the soundcard has a lot to do with everything, and if you don't have a good one it may be impossible to do what you want. So I'd start there.

And somewhere plugging into your soundcard near the headphone and speaker jacks should be one called line in. That's where the magic happens, baby!

Riggo

Riggo, thanks for the sympathy.

pipelineaudio, Thanks for the information.

I guess what it really comes down to is... I'll just give up! JK, never-

I love to play with Sonar (my buddies send me their tracks), I love to mix in effects and stuff. I've just never really setup up any kind on PA equipment. It's always been, dude, plug in over there and don't F with the mixer :(
Kinda sad for someone whos been playing for 18 years, huh!

ONEsnowRIDER said:
Kinda sad for someone whos been playing for 18 years, huh!

Nah, there's a BIG value in not having the attached stigma and adherence to dogma that can plague those who have been doing it for a long time

Outsiders' eyes (ears) are often paradigm shifting

I think Part of your Problem is Understanding Signal Flow and Knowing exactly how all of your Equipment works.....Once you understand this everything should fall together (at least in yer head).....

I would suggest that you connect it this way.....

Mic your amp and Plug the Mic into one chanel of your crate PA6FX , then Connect the "Effect Send" for that channel to Input 1 on the Motu useing a 1/4in Cable....Now record....

The Crate PA6FX isn"t really ideal for this application because it is a Powered Mixer so the Outputs are amplified so you have to use the Effects send to get an Unamplified Line level signal....also this Mixer has no direct outputs for each channel so all of the Inputs are summed into a stereo signal....

I would suggest that you get a Rack of 8 Mic preamps (one for each input on the Motu) and use them to Mic up your stuff and forget about the Crate Mixer.... You could also get something like the ADA8000 which is 8 Mic preamps that connect to the Motu through ADAT which will also leave your 8 analogue inputs free and you can get an ADA8000 for about $150, they aren"t the best quality but work well enough for getting your signal to your Motu......

Good luck

Connect the "Effect Send"

Minion,

I was afrad to do this (Connect the "Effect Send") as I wasn't really sure if I would blow something. Thanks for the input, I'll try your suggestions out.

Back